• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Winterizing and fresh water flush

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Winterizing and fresh water flush

Post by NJRobert »

Looking for some help. Does anyone have a suggestion on the possibility of utilizing an in-line "t" fitting on the salt water intake? I have a 315 and it has a 2" intake hose, going to the sea strainer. Makes it very difficult to winterize. Also, if a fitting with a garden hose can be attached, I could run it after trips, to help preserve the engine zincs.

Thanks
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Boat Diesel . com is a very good resource on this. I fellow named Tony Athens has several good threads on this. An inline T, after the sea water filter is the perfered spot. My strainer output side reduces to 1.5" from 2" on the intake side. 1.5" bronze to is quite a bit less expensive and gives the added benefit of back flushing the stainer if the engine isn't running or isn't using all the water supplied by the hose. Always leave your seacock open so water at dock pressure isn't forced into places it's not supposed to go. I'm not exactly sure what those places are, perhaps someone here could explain it better, but I know it's not good. This is on my list of winter projects, seems like one of the better additions you could make. I plan on adding a 3/4" ball valve to the top of the 1.5" tee, 3/4" marine suction hose to a SS bulkhead fitting with a SS valved quick-connect, mounted next to the seawater washdown faucet. I'll open the ball valve when I open all the other seacocks. When I return to the dock, just snap the dock water hose to it, SS QC on this as well, and turn on the water. No need to open hatches or shut down the motor. let it run for 5 minutes, shut down the engine, back flush the filter for another minute and disconnect.Sorry for the long winded reply, I'm in the hose and fitting business and this is one of the few areas I can use what I sell, other than having the nicest garden hose in the neighborhood of course. :D
Good Luck,
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
NJRobert
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks

Post by NJRobert »

Thanks John for the info. If I understand you correctly, then I might have to look at another location. After my sea strainer I'm short of space. This engin sits directly under the pilothouse and the strainer is pretty close to the Racor filter. Your location makes sense, but if space is a problem, I might have to opt for making the connection near the seacock for the salt water intake.

Robert
Nj Robert
2007 28TE Newport
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

furball wrote:I'm not exactly sure what those places are, perhaps someone here could explain it better, but I know it's not good.
Leaving the seacock open prevents pressure build up in the raw water system. Excess pressure can damage seals and gaskets. Also a major concern is overfilling of the raw water system could create a backup into the engine through the exhaust.

Leaving the seacock open is a fail safe but you must verify that the dock side hose is providing enough flow to satisfy the demand of the cooling water pump otherwise you will be pulling in a mix of fresh and salt and not totally accomplishing the task at hand.

Since fresh water is less dense than sea water the fresh water will not drain down through the open seacock after you leave the boat.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I have the thoroflush unit on mine. But, they went out of business around 2006. Perko makes one if you can find it.
http://gator49.hostgator.com/~zeromyst/ ... ucts_id=62

Perhaps John's company will come out with one?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
SJR
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Beach NY

Re: Winterizing and fresh water flush

Post by SJR »

Hi Rob, While I was searching to find a remedy for my own issue I came across your response to this post. After opening the boat up this spring I came across BOTH my thru hull shut off valves for my sea water intakes for the engines (twin yanmars ) are stuck closed. I haven't closed them in the past, however had some help this last year and they must of been closed. Ive tried loosening and removing the outside nut and inside nut and BOTH will not budge. Ive tapped wth a small hammer, used a bit of a homemade persuader and nothing. apprehensive to apply to much force and also do not want to damage the threads. any ideas? strange they are both in this condition.
54722818544__B550E89E-32CE-4A78-80ED-76592F40785A.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
TEAGAN II
2006 31' TE
Twin Yanmar 315HP 6-LPAM STP
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Does it have the 1/8" npt winterizing plug in the side of the valve. You can remove that and temporarily install a grease zerk or just spray some lube in there. That's better for when open. When closed it's best to pull the hose and spray from above and also from below through the strainer
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
SJR
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Beach NY

Post by SJR »

thank you, I will be giving the lube from all angles a try later this week.
TEAGAN II
2006 31' TE
Twin Yanmar 315HP 6-LPAM STP

Return to “Albin Maintenance”