• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 315 oil filter removal

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Yanmar 315 oil filter removal

Post by fairtide »

In preparation for putting Fair Tide up for winter storage, the engine oil needed changing, a usual thing. I bought the Yanmar filter (not cheap, as we mentioned in a previous message), a suitable supply of suitable oil and a filter wrench that would fit the new filter.
The boat is new (42 hours) and so the filter was the one that was installed wherever they do that. It was painted gray, just like the engine. The replacement filter is white, by the way. I am struggling with removing the gray filter partly because there is so little work room and also because it seems welded on. Maybe that paint is holding it in place.
The new filter has graphics for installation printed on the unit and it seems to say that an anticlockwise rotation is needed for installation. That seems wrong. The old "lefty loosie, righty tighty" principle can't be wrong in the case of Yanmar filters.
Any hints from those of you who do your own work?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

If you can't get a wrench on the filter AND you're sure the new one is correct you can drive a screw driver through the old filter to give you a lever / grip point to get it off. Obviously you'll need some rags to soak up the oil which will leak out of the filter. I've used this method several times on various filters with success.

If the rotation seems wrong they may be 'looking' at the filter from a different angle. Check the threads of the new one to verify you are turning it the right way.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Are you SURE the arrows point towards a counter-clockwise installation? That definitely seems backwards. I've never seen that before. But if so, I'd recommend trying the filter you're removing in both directions. I'm sure the paint is what's making it difficult to remove. The screwdriver trick is an oldie but a goodie. The drawback, however, is that it's extremely messy, and sometimes even dangerous (I once stabbed myself in the palm doing it).

But, as is always the case, you should really be removing the filter with a bucket underneath it anyway, provided you have the room.

Another trick is to use rubber coated gloves. I have a pair of cotton gloves with rubber coating on the palm and fingers. These help improve your grip on the filter. Of course, if access is really limited, there's not a whole lot you can do.
robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Oil filter

Post by robonurse »

I had a miserable time getting the factory filter off. I wonder if they put them on dry. Get a VERY LARGE and strong friend to help you loosen the filter (yes, counter clockwise will loosen it) and put some oil on the gasket of the new filter before installing it.
Subsequent filter changes have been done without difficulty.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”