• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 27 repower

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

kickinmule
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Berwick

Albin 27 repower

Post by kickinmule »

Can someone tell me the best options and minimum HP that I should be considering for the repower of an Albin 27 FC???? Thanks
Shogun
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Stratford, Ct

Re: Albin 27 repower

Post by Shogun »

Bigger the better. I have the Isuzu 157 6 cyl Diesel. Boat does 9-11 knots cruise but will do 14 knots when I need it. Still burns minimal fuel. Love the engine. Its original with 1200 hours in our Albin 27 Sport
Britt Hughes -
Albin27 Sport
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I agree the more power the better.
You won't regret it and it will make a whole new boat.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Post by SkipD »

Wondering what conclusions you've arrived at on the engine HP? I have a 85 FC that I will repower next summer. From my research I see a great span of opinions and I also see, from reading Dave Gerr and other experts, that a lower HP might be more appropriate. Based on my calculations (taken from Gerr's Propeller Book) I'm leaning towards a Beta Marine 50, maybe even a Beta Marine 43. My goal is to cruise at 7 kts with some extra umph, quiet running, economical and dependable. And avoiding big head seas & strong currents except for short durations.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Telicop River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Skip, It's good to see someone on here that agrees with me. Either of those engines will give 8.5-9 knots on our boats. They are probably the most economical and reliable engine out there, plus you'll be able to access your ER areas MUCH better than with a 6 cyl. They're very quiet compared to a Cummins or any of the older engines and the one I heard running was quieter than the Yanmar. I believe they'll outlast me in any event and my son is looking forward to inheriting it someday (HOPEFULLY NOT SOON). Ben, 27FC, '87with LD28.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”