• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Dingy setup on TE 28

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dingy setup on TE 28

Post by Richard »

Does anyone who carries a dingy on their TE28 have any photos they can share that show how it is stowed? Also, I would be interested how you carry your OB.

I am considering Weaver snap davits for the dingy and a Weaver OB mounting bracket that has the motor laying down on the swim platform. Does anybody have this setup and if so how well does it work?

As an alternate approach, does anybody tow their dingy with or without OB installed at cruising speeds (15-18 kts.) and how well does that work?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide based on your experience.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I've been looking at ways to carry a dinghy for 2 years now. I still haven't bought anything.

The weaver davits seem to be the most reasonable choice but where to carry the motor is the next problem. Someone suggested I make an extension for the transom door so that the motor could be clamped in place vertically to the door when not in use.

I too would love to see photos of other's setups and opinions.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

I was looking at this as well, and was wondering if the Weaver Leaver would work in this need? To use the Snap Davits, leave the motor on the Dingy and then pivot the motor with the Dingy raised up and tied off? The only problem I saw was that the Weaver Leaver requires some specific dimenions on the transom of the Dingy to work. But this way, you could leave the motor on the craft and just swing it, not messing around with taking it off and connecting it somewhere else for transport.

Timely thread though, as my kids were asking about this.

Alan
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

AlanD:

The local (Annapolis) dealer that carries Weaver products told me to stay away from the Weaver leaver and said it is not worth it. He also recommended taking the motor off each time and fixing it on the boat.

Like you, I am really interested in what others here have to say.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

We had Weaver snap davits with a Leaver on our last boat. The Leaver system is a decent alternative to the more expensive SeaWise system.

The SeaWise is by far the most slick system for raising and lowering the dinghy with the outboard attached. However, in addition to it's steep price, it has some drawbacks. First off, the crank and bracket remain on the swimstep even when the dinghy is not attached. Also, it relies on a cable and crank to raise the boat and engine, which can snap, tangle, and generally get in the way. But for ease of use, there's simply nothing better.

The Weaver system, by contrast, can be easily removed when not in use, leaving the swimstep free of obstructions. However, it includes no system for raising the boat, so you either have to develop your own, or just use brute strength. Also, you have to manually lower and raise the engine from the sideways position, which can be a bit cumbersome. Once you figure it out, it's not hard, but it's still much more difficult than the automatic action of the SeaWise system.

Personally, I would choose the Weaver system for my own boat, so long I wasn't using a boat and engine above it's weight capacity. But I'm young and still relatively strong and nimble. For those who are less so, the SeaWise is worth the extra cost and blockage of the swimstep. You just have to set it up so it's not on the side you usually tie alongside the dock. The same is really true of the Weaver as well, but at least you have the option of removing it.

As for forgetting the whole thing and removing the outboard from the dinghy when not in use, I say NO WAY! While none of these systems are cheap, they are worth their weight in gold for the amount of convenience the provide. A word of caution, though, the serious offshore fisherman will want to remove the dinghy when heading offshore. A monster wave can rip it right off, doing a lot of damage in the process, not to mention it gets in the way of the lines. But for 99% of coastal cruising, it's just fine. For those rare occasions where you find yourself in 10'+ crashing waves, with the dinghy on the transom, you'll proably want to just cut it loose anyway.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Mariner wrote: The Weaver system, by contrast, can be easily removed when not in use, leaving the swimstep free of obstructions. However, it includes no system for raising the boat, so you either have to develop your own, or just use brute strength. Also, you have to manually lower and raise the engine from the sideways position, which can be a bit cumbersome. Once you figure it out, it's not hard.
Personally, I would choose the Weaver system for my own boat, so long I wasn't using a boat and engine above it's weight capacity. But I'm young and still relatively strong and nimble. For those who are less so, the SeaWise is worth the extra cost and blockage of the swimstep. You just have to set it up so it's not on the side you usually tie alongside the dock. The same is really true of the Weaver as well, but at least you have the option of removing it

While none of these systems are cheap, they are worth their weight in gold for the amount of convenience they provide.
I'm with Mariner on this one. I'm a Weaver Removable Snap Davit guy.
I carry a 9 ft. hard bottom Zodiac and currently lay the 8hp on the deck and pull the inflatable tight to the transom. I believe with the Weaver Leaver a standoff would be necessary to keep the outboard off of the hull.
Sorry, no pics. :( Here is link to a previous well discussed thread on this subject in the Tournament Express Forum.

http://albinowners.net/aog/viewtopic.php?t=526
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I'm still towing mine. I don't mind it for short runs (10-15 miles) but would not be comfortable running all day. I do leave the motor on.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
TonyAmalfitano

Post by TonyAmalfitano »

I stow a 9' inflatable just on the swim platform. I hold it in place with 2 cargo straps which pass through a footman loop screwed to the swim platform, then around the stern rail. I have enough rail to attach the motor to a cheapo rail mount motor mount.

I'm thinking about a rod holder motor mount.......... :?
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

I was at the Norwalk Boat show and visited the Dinghy folks and saw the weaver system and the Seawise set-up. The Seawise one they had on display was very cool and I liked the way the manual crank worked how easy it would go off and on the swim platform. Got the names of the two outfits that do the installations as well, but still not sure which way to go. BUT the Seawise one, did look pretty rugged.
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie
StockHR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by StockHR »

Alan, how much does the seawise system sell for?

Thanks. Mike
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

I like the idea of the Sea Wise system. Is that crank permanenet? Can it be removed from the swim platform...easily?

http://www.davitsystem.com/index.htm
John
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

It comes right off the platform when you do not need it, a simple looking set up.
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie
scarbo

Post by scarbo »

Late reply to an old thread, but I just joined. I have the Weaver Snap Davits and Weaver Leaver on a 2005 28TE for a hard-bottom 8 1/2'
with a 5HP motor. I LOVE not having to take the motor off everytime...well worth the little hassle of learning how to swivel. No problem pivoting (raising) the dinghy by myself, a piece of cake with a second person.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

scarbo wrote:Late reply to an old thread, but I just joined. I have the Weaver Snap Davits and Weaver Leaver on a 2005 28TE for a hard-bottom 8 1/2'
with a 5HP motor. I LOVE not having to take the motor off everytime...well worth the little hassle of learning how to swivel. No problem pivoting (raising) the dinghy by myself, a piece of cake with a second person.
That's the way to go. I'm still pulling mine around.
John
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

scarbo wrote:Late reply to an old thread, but I just joined. I have the Weaver Snap Davits and Weaver Leaver on a 2005 28TE for a hard-bottom 8 1/2'
Scarbo .... Welcome aboard and thanks for the bump ..... you've got me thinking about the Weaver Leaver again !
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”