• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Ritchie Compass - bubble removal

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Ritchie Compass - bubble removal

Post by DCatSea »

I have a large bubble in my Ritchie compass, which is a venerable "Globemaster" so worth keeping.

I know I can get it serviced by Ritchie in Annapolis "at a cost possibly cheaper than a new one" (which really means "less than $600.00), but would like to try and fix it myself. I have small tools, a pint of fresh Ritchie Compass Fluid and a small syringe to put the fluid in with, but wonder if anyone has useful tips or "don't attempt to do it yourself" advise.

I'll look on this as an opportunity to service and clean up the whole thing.

Thanks to all AOG Albineers for the last 2 years of worthwhile advise.

Doug
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ritchie Compass - bubble removal - update

Post by DCatSea »

OK - took the bull by the horns and tackled the "bubble in the dome" issue. Much easier than I thought it would, but a tad more frustrating. After speaking with Scott at Ritchie Compass, I threw the bottle of compass fluid in an ice chest full of ice for an hour or so (he recommended the freezer, but ....) Then I removed the plug from under the bezel, being careful to tip the compass on its side. Using a small syringe I then started filling the compass, very slowly, with the fluid, being careful to release any trapped air by knocking, shaking and rolling the compass and watching for bubbles. After an hour of this, I had a bubble-free compass, which hopefully will last a while now that it has anew sunshade.
Scott did say that if another bubble appears I may have to change the diaphragm, which can be bought from Ritchie for self install, or send the whole thing to their agent in Annapolis for a recondition (c.$120.00)
Last edited by DCatSea on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Re: Ritchie Compass - bubble removal

Post by Sprig1 »

Thanks for the review. I always wondered about that. Could you of filled it with vodka probably been cheaper. Then you would of had a secret stash
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

If you have a bubble I have most of a bottle of Ritchie Compass Fluid, so you can have some.
However, the idea of a secret stash of Moscovskaya in the compass is intriguing. Maybe I just need a real binnacle, with room for a bottle under the compass. It probably wouldn't affect the compass, just my ability to follow a course.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

That was interesting. Thanks for the post!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

In my younger days, I worked at Aqua Meter in Roseland, NJ. I worked in the marine electronics division. Across the aisle from us was the compass division. If I only knew that I would have so much (unwanted) experience with bubbles in compasses years later, I would have picked their brains for some tricks of the trade.

I heard of the "fluid in the 'fridge" trick but never tried refilling one myself. Maybe now I will.

Speaking of Aqua Meter... The compass housings were ultrasonically welded. Ever hear an ultrasonic welder out of adjustment? It's like fingernails on a blackboard... at high volume! Yikes! The whole factory would cringe!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

OK - change of plans - the bubble, of course, came back, which means there is a leak in the diaphragm.
Took the compass to J Gordon in Annapolis, and checked it in. Apparently there is a "tool" to accurately fit and seat a new diaphragm. However, they can do it before the weekend, for reasonable cost (complete refurbish), so I took another of those darned bulls by the horns, and left the compass in their capable hands.

Sept 19th, 1030AM - Just got a phone call from Gordons - Compass is repaired and ready for pick up - new diaphragm, reseated card and general refurb - $65.00. Such a deal, especially as I will now be able to find my way home.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak

Return to “Albin Maintenance”