• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

slide on dingy davits

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

dosched
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart, FL

slide on dingy davits

Post by dosched »

I'm looking for ways to carry a hard bottom inflatable on my 32+2 and came across a slide on system for the swim platform. I think the one I looked at was made by Hurley. Two arms and you pull the dingy on sideways into a cradle. Wondering if anyone has used this type of system.
Don
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Re: slide on dingy davits

Post by Jay Knoll »

Is this what you're thinking about?

https://hurleymarine.com/shop/dinghy-da ... ghy-davit/
dosched
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dosched »

Yes, but the swim platform is not wide enough (20"?) to hold half the dingy. Wondering if anyone has found one the fits a standard 10' hard bottom inflatable. I imagine all 32+2 swim platforms are the same size. I do like the concept.
dosched
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dosched »

Has anyone out there installed davits to carry an inflatable? If so, what kind did you use. Also thinking of a hoist to lift the outboard on and off the dingy. Looking for manufacturers of that also.
Thanks
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

We have a 43 but the swim platform may be the same size as yours. I can measure if you need exact measurements.

We also have a sundeck, which means that the aft SR is on the other side of the stern so I couldn't thru-bolt without running the risk of hitting my head on the hardware.

I found davits from Atkins & Hoyle (https://www.atkinshoyle.com/#dLj5V8) that have worked well. The caveat is that you need to reinforce the swim platform (ours is a slotted Teak). I did that with FRP from McMaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-fibe ... s/=17jaisl). The 'shoes' on the bottom of the davit allow them to be removed in the winter which I do & store inside of the boat.

Our dinghy is a Mercury 310 Hypalon with a 6HP 4stroke engine. Haven't had any issues with swaying, we cross tie it after lifting and it rides well on the stern.

I've attached a picture of the setup.

We use the dinghy way more with the davits than we used to use it when we had the motor separated from the boat. I was always afraid of dropping it into the water when it came time to attach it to the dinghy.

Now, my wife and I can drop & retrieve it very easily and it's worth it to have the dinghy easily accessible.

Any questions, drop me an email.
20150712_170151.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
dosched
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dosched »

Thank you Charles. That's basically what we want to do. We're looking at RIB inflatables now and will make a decision when we know the size and weight. I'll go to the web site.
Don
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Here's an example of an Albin 32+2 with inflatable dinghy mounted on Weaver snap davits. The setup shown in this video might work well for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEWGGIGUvSA

We had an 8 foot hard shell dinghy on snap davits that came with our Albin 25, but the fact that our transom is only 6 feet wide meant there was a foot of overhang on each side, which caused a problem in rough conditions of a wave catching the end of the dinghy. We replaced the snap davits with lift davits, but that's another story that I won't go into here. However, while we had the snap davits we liked them, and in your case with a wide transom would not have the problems relating to overhang that we had.

Charles' solution with Nepidae would work well too, with the advantage of being able to leave the outboard on. However one advantage of snap davits is that it adds much less to length overall. On the other hand, you would have to remove the motor to stow the dinghy, but even that can be solved with the rotating motor mounts that Weaver sells. One thing we really liked about snap davits is when you lower the dinghy but before un-latching it to cast off you can stand up in the dinghy, walk around, load gear, etc without fear of tipping or drifting off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nepidae »

We started with a Sling Davit. In essence a cargo net that tied to the swim platform. You would paddle over the net, remove the OB then with straps that were laying on the water, pull the dinghy up into position, similar to the Weaver position.
You can find that online under Sling Davit.
This came with 2 straps that you would use to hold the dinghy to the swim platform for loading/unloading.
When we moved to the davits we kept the straps and use them for the same purpose.
Once the dinghy is in the water the straps are used and the dinghy is immobilized. We also use them to hold the dinghy to the boat, sideways, if we have come back to the boat and are planning on going out again. This keeps the dinghy in place so it doesn't 'wander' and possibly get caught under a dock as the tide comes & goes.
It isn't like locking the dinghy to the boat, but it is a mild deterrent and we do have a plastic coated wire with a loop on each end that we use to LOCK the dinghy to the boat either at night while still in the water or when in place and we are moving.
If necessary, I can see if I have a picture of this.
Calm seas,

Charles

m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
dosched
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dosched »

We have decided to go with a set of davits made by Kato Marine in Maryland. They are due to arrive on Monday (7/10). Len, their salesman was very helpful. We'll be installing them on Tuesday and will post a picture. As we're seriously contemplating doing the "Loop" this seems to be the best way to go.
Don
M/V Pura Vida
dosched
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dosched »

Hopefully the picture of the davits comes through. We are very pleased with Kato Marine and their product.
Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Harbor Marina, Waretown, NJ

Post by Dr Luke »

Poco Loco came to me with St. Croix davits, winches to lift dingy (former owner older than I), and what looks like a properly reinforced installation on the gunnel. They are easily removed and stowed with slide-on and pin in place brackets. Motor can be left on dingy as that arm has an additional brace down to the swim platform. For longer trips, there is also a removable motor mount on the gunnel.
The davits themselves are beautifully made.
Paul

2000 32+2: Poco Loco
1992 Boston Whaler 23 Walkaround: UnLeashed
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nepidae »

I've already made a post or 2 on this subject.
IF you have a cockpit, then you can mount just about anything for your dinghy.
We didn't want the thru bolts to hit us in the head as our SR is opposite the stern, so thru bolting wasn't possible.
The davits we purchased from Atkins & Hoyle in Canada, which attach to the swim platform, have been great, are less expensive and better made than St. Croix and allow the motor to be kept on the dinghy.
To us, all the important items are met.
Calm seas,

Charles

m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”