• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Horn Problem

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Horn Problem

Post by johnmurray »

The horn on my A30FC suddenly stopped working. The first thing I checked was the horn fuse on the switch panel and it looked OK. I then removed the horn from the arch at the top of the boat and tested it on a 12V source and the horn sounded as it should, so I eliminated the horn itself as the source of the problem. I then looked at the mass of wires at the back of the switch panel and nothing looked loose. I am no electrician, but what next? Is it probable that the horn switch has failed? If so, where would I find a replacement?
Any and all suggestions are most welcome. In the meanwhile I rely on my hand-held aerosol horn.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: Horn Problem

Post by rebuckley »

It could be a few things. You could have a bad ground - did you test the wires at the horn connection? Hit the switch and be sure the 12v comes to that point. It could be a bad switch..you could test the switch and see if it works - essentially allows the current to flow when on, no current when off.
As for getting a new one - I get most of my stuff at defender - but if you post an image of the switch it would be easier to find - probably even on Amazon.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
JBrooks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cedar Creek Marina, Old Hickory Lake, Mt. Juliet, TN

Post by JBrooks »

Test the voltage at the horn if you have another person to help. One to push the horn switch and the other at the horn. Battery may be low. I've had my 30FC for 7 weeks but have been fixing stuff every weekend and doing engine maintenance. When the trucking company moved the boat the mast had to be removed which held the horn, VHF antenna, nav/anchor light and FM antenna. They cut all the wires at the mast. I had to run a new VHF antenna wire from the VHF radio at the console to the mast and reconnect the other wiring You can expose all the cabling from the mast to the console area. There's a trim piece that comes off the back of the hard top that covers the wires. They go to the starboard side and there's a side panel that comes off. You can make sure you don't have a loose connection or broken wire. My wires were red and black for the horn.
I've replaced the stereo & all speakers. Not sure if the factory wired the old Sony radio I removed but it was wired incorrectly. Johnson Water freshwater pump went out just as I entered the shower this weekend. $284.00 later fixed with a Johnson Aqua Jet WPS 5.2 pump). Isotherm fridge only ran on DC so replaced the AC/DC converter the week before.
JB
Floridays
2004 Albin 30FC
Perkins M265TI
JBrooks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cedar Creek Marina, Old Hickory Lake, Mt. Juliet, TN

Post by JBrooks »

Not sure how these pictures will turn out but they are from the mast down to the cable chase toward the back of the hard top. Wish I had taken them from farther back so you can see the cable chase and the side panel. The side panel behind the captains chair has an 12v terminal block which like a dummy I didn't take a picture of when I had the side panel removed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
JB
Floridays
2004 Albin 30FC
Perkins M265TI
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I re-checked my horn wiring and discovered that it was a blown fuse after all. When inspected the fuse looked OK, but there was no continuity there so I replaced the fuse and am back in business. Thanks to Reb Buckley and J Brooks for their helpfulness.
JB, as a new owner of an A-30FC you will find this forum very useful. Most things in the A-30FC are the same as with the A-28, but there are differences, not just between the A-30FC and the A-28, but among the A-30FCs (and there are not that many of them). I purchased my boat (Hull#15) new in 2005 and have been very happy with it. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, either by posting or by PM.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Bidgood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pelican Isle, Florida

Post by Bidgood »

John,

I had a horn problem early on with my 30FC. Salt water getting in there and just destroyed it. wish it had just been the fuse. I enjoy a wet ride in heavy seas. Let me know if you make a trip down here next winter!

Tom
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Albin 30 FC
Hull # "0"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”