• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel prices and their affect on your boating

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fuel prices and their affect on your boating

Post by Mariner »

With dockside dyed diesel prices approaching $3/gal. and huge increased projected this summer, do you expect that your boating will be affected this summer? If so, how will it affect you? Will you go less often? Go slower? Will you make modifications to improve fuel economy?

What kind of consumption do you get?

For me, it has already resulted in two things: I'm going slower and sadly, going less often. I'm attempting to pick the right times to buy fuel as well. When I see that the price has gone down, I try to get down and buy some fuel and when the price goes up, I put it off. Most notably, every trip has had fuel cost factor into where and how far we will go, or whether we will go at all. But most of all, I'm finding new use for my 13' Whaler that sips fuel at some amount less than 1gph. I spend a lot more time poking around on the Whaler than before.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Fuel prices and their affect on your boating

Post by jcollins »

Mariner wrote:With dockside dyed diesel prices approaching $3/gal. and huge increased projected this summer, do you expect that your boating will be affected this summer? If so, how will it affect you? Will you go less often? Go slower? Will you make modifications to improve fuel economy?

What kind of consumption do you get?

For me, it has already resulted in two things: I'm going slower and sadly, going less often. I'm attempting to pick the right times to buy fuel as well. When I see that the price has gone down, I try to get down and buy some fuel and when the price goes up, I put it off. Most notably, every trip has had fuel cost factor into where and how far we will go, or whether we will go at all. But most of all, I'm finding new use for my 13' Whaler that sips fuel at some amount less than 1gph. I spend a lot more time poking around on the Whaler than before.
Mariner,
Last year my usage was 13-14 GPH with the old boat. This year, going slower, I'll be in the 4-5 GPH range. Since the boat is new to us we will probably do more trips than last year.

I'm with you as far as watching the price. I'm also with you using my inflatable to run around in. 10' with a Yamaha 9.9. I can run around all day on a couple of gallons.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I have not taken the boat out of the slip yet this year, but I would assume that the fuel prices will have some affect on my boating. Luckly, we have a very nice destination with a great beach, nice places to walk and a very good anchorage within 20 minutes of our dock. I would guess instead of traveling a long way we will stay closer to home.
I hate to think about it but I guess I might think about learning how to sail rather than just sitting at the dock or giving up boating altogether.
It scares me to think what some of the boats that use 30 to 50 gallons of fuel per hour will pay to fill thir tanks! Denis
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I topped off my tank on Sunday. 2.89 at Baltimore Yacht Club with boatus discount.
Much to my pleasure, I'm getting 2.4 GPH. Not a bad start for the season.
This weekend we're going to the Inner Harbor. (Baltimore) The Volvo ocean racers will be in town for the waterfront festival.
I'll post some pics later today.

More information here:
http://www.baltimorewaterfrontfestival. ... up276.aspx
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “General Discussion”