• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Peninsular hard cold start, smoke and rough idle.

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

taggteam
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape May, NJ

Peninsular hard cold start, smoke and rough idle.

Post by taggteam »

Gents,
First off...it drives me as crazy when people call the engine "Peninsula", as it does when people add a "G" to the end of Cummins. Whew...I said it.

Anyway, I "think" I have this figured out....and will call Peninsular to speak with their tech folks today. But...wanted to see if any Peninsular owners have run into this issue. When my engine is cold, it's hard starting. I installed new glow plugs at the end of last season, in December. I used Bosch plugs...as Peninsular didn't "hear me" say that I wanted the ones I ordered from them overnighted. No biggie...they're cheap, and it's good to have a spare set in my mind. So...the Bosch plugs are in the engine. Glow timer is set, in my mind way to long; somewhere around 20-25 seconds. I'm guessing that way shortens glow plug life. Easy to adjust, as the previous owner installed the updated timer switch. In any event....

When cold, she'll start only after the glow plugs have been energized for 20-25 seconds....which I advanced when I had the issue at the end of last season. When she does start, she smokes like crazy...and doesn't stop unless I advance the throttle in gear. Then, the smoke immediately disappears. Even in neutral, if I advance the throttle, the smoke continues and the engine runs rough. It's only when I engage the transmission that it clears up.

Now, in my digging, as there is very little info on Peninsular troubleshooting on line, I think I found that the culprit may be the "Cold Advance Temp Switch".

It would seem that this switch engages when cold and allows advancement of timing until the temp reaches 140 degrees. In looking at the Peninsular wiring diagram, it's fed by a Purple, or Purple/White wire, between the fuel shut off switch and the HPCA solenoid (High Pressure Cold Advance). My thinking is that it activates the HPCA solenoid...

My question is...has anyone dealt with this? When I get to the boat, I will check the switch to see if it is open. Normal thinking says it should be closed when cold, open when hot; and if open, could be simply "jumped" to close the connection and prove the above. If the condition goes away and activates the advance....engine should smooth out and smoke subside.

Thoughts?
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Re: Peninsular hard cold start, smoke and rough idle.

Post by Pedro »

Hi, I can only say that my Peninsular, does like the glow plugs to be on for the full cycle, I turned my timer all the way up so I guess it's around 25 seconds or so,
It has always started then smoked a bit then smoke clears up.
This year I've been working through a no start situation, (checked the batteries,even though all are 1 year old)..they are fine
Then I had the old style prestolite starter rebuilt, problem solved,,starts better than ever,
If yours is old a rebuild might help some of the issue,,,good luck,,,
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

My old motor would do the same thing until it warmed up. new one usually lets out a puff of smoke on startup (it will start with the plugs on for 10 seconds but I usually let it go the 20 seconds the timer is set for unless im in a hurry) and then no more unless I deck it and only until its on plane (black smoke). luckily the brand new motor runs like a top. But honestly the old one didn't run that horrible.

what color is the smoke?

It sounds like you are on par on the cause, I have found the guys at peninsular very helpful with any issues thus far. Depending on the color of the smoke might be worth investigating the cleanliness of your air system!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
taggteam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by taggteam »

OK...so I talked to Peninsular. They confirmed that it may be the cold start switch. So, I bought one at NAPA to have in the event the existing tested "open". I've been to the marina twice since...and both times, ran the boat before I checked the switch. Smart, huh?
So...I ran down last night to install a new VHF antenna...then of course, took her for a ride. When I got back, I swapped out the switch. It tested "open" when warm...which should be normal. Why I didn't put the meter on it before I put it in the warm block is beyond me. So...I'll have to check it out another day.

I also keep forgetting to bring the oil vacuum down with me to change the oil.....equally as smart.

Gettin old, I guess....
taggteam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by taggteam »

Quick update....problem solved. One of my batteries was shot. This is what was happening...the engine was turning over too slow to start initially..and likely wasn't getting full power to the glow plugs.. So...it was injecting fuel without being burned....hence the smoke. I changed the cold start switch..because I had bought it and would lose it before I returned it...LOL. The old one checked out...so it's with my "lot" of spare parts. The battery was replaced...and now she fires up and purrs like a kitten after about 10 seconds of glow.

In any event....problem solved.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Glad to hear it worked out for you...batteries can be a bugger
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff

Return to “Albin Maintenance”