• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

painting window frames on 28 te

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

painting window frames on 28 te

Post by saltshaker28 »

Some of the paint has chiped off my window frames and it is spreading I want to paint them before they get too bad has anyone done this if so what type of primer should I use and what paint I was thinking brightside they are off white any ideas on the color would be great thanks
elad9000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart FL

Re: painting window frames on 28 te

Post by elad9000 »

I too, as I am sure many other Albin owners, have paint issues with window frames. I have not yet attacked the frames but have painted the aluminum seat bases with some but limited success. The problem is that even thought the AwlCraft 2000 top coat is holding up there is some corrosion forming under the paint. It looks like small irregular bubbles under the paint.

The seat bases were sanded thoroughly to remove all noticeable corrosion. I then primed them with Pettit Aluma Protect, then Awlgrip 545 primer and finally sprayed them with Awlcraft 2000. After wet sanding and polishing (really it is not that hard to do) the bases came out beautiful. Lasted for about two years then the corrosion underneath started to show. The corrosion does not seem to be spreading, has not penetrated the top coat and it does not look so bad as to need redoing.

My plan is to do the same process on the window frames but may finish with Awlgrip instead of Awlcraft 2000 so I can brush the paint on instead of spraying. It just seems too messy to spray the frames in place and I am not going to even try to remove them. I can live with the brush marks on the frames if my tipping skills are lacking. My biggest concern is properly sanding the existing corrosion off the frames. It seems real difficult to get all the corrosion off the nooks and crannys of the frames.

Anyway, my recommendation on primer is Pettit Aluma Protect. I settled on Awlcraft's "Morrisonville Double" color as the closest match.
Dale Purdy
enJOYCEment
2000 28 TE 1800 hrs
Stuart, FL
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Some years ago I used a white enamel spray after sanding and it has held up well. The paint was bought from home depot or lowes. Rather surprised.
Don
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

I'd be very tempted to try Rustoleum. I used it on the aluminum window frames on our previous boat (Trojan F-32), and it turned out great. Held up well.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “Albin Maintenance”