• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trolling valve

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Limelight
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Schooner Cove, Nanoose Bay, BC Canada

Trolling valve

Post by Limelight »

Hey there, I have a 28' Albin with the Yanmar 300 hp and the Hurst transmission. I have a troloing valve on the transmission that is acting up.

When I engae the valve, the transmission slips too much - in other words, ithe shaft does not turn at all. When I disengage the valve, the shaft rotates, so, it seems to me that the valve is engaging, however, when it is engaged, the transmission is slipping too much.

Any suggestions?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Trolling valve

Post by Pitou »

Have you checked the level of the gear oil?
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

Do you mean as soon as you start engaging the valve or when fully engaged. The trolling valve should be variable adjustment. As you start to engage it should go from no slippage to full slippage depending how far you are pulling the handle up.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
Limelight
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Schooner Cove, Nanoose Bay, BC Canada

Post by Limelight »

Yes, my gear oil level is checked very time I fire her up - and it is ok. Thanks Terry/Karen on the info about the variability - i assumed incorrectly that it was all or nothing, and have placing the handle in the full "on" position, which would provide full slip. I will try at less than "full on" and see what happens.

Lance
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

Hope it is all well with the valve. I have used mine for many years now and would not be with out it. A couple of things that might help in your usage. First and most important do not use your valve with the engine Rpm more than idle. It will burn out your transmission fast. Many have forgotten that the valve is engaged and throttle up with bad results. If you don't have a safety of some sort built in, put a cup over top of your throttle lever to remind you.

Second by turning the handle one way or the other will give you infinite control of the valve. Pull the valve to get it in range then turn the handle to fine tune the speed. For a start point I watch the water swirl in the back of the boat to know how fast the prop is turning. After a while you will get pretty good at guessing it. Then fine tune by twisting the handle and watching your GPS.

If you fluke fish make up some spinners. When the wind and current are not right and the bite has stopped turn in the direction of the current and do a slow troll.With out much rudder control you will be using the bow thrust-er a lot to keep heading. You will start hooking up quickly. Many times it has made a tough day of fishing into a good day.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”