• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Lewmar profish1000 install

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Lewmar profish1000 install

Post by Pedro »

As I begin to install my new windlass,
I see Lewmar recommends 10 awg wire for up to a 40' run of wire? But most guys have posted they used 6 awg? Also I measure roughly a distance of 12' from anchor locker to contractor (main access behind medicine cabinet)
Yet most guys mention needing 30' Of wire? I figure 15-20' of black,15'-20'red the gauge is still undecided,anybody remember what they installed for wiring?
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Skerryvore , Ontario

Re: Lewmar profish1000 install

Post by jetter »

I tapped into the bow thrusher avoiding the issue. Has worked well.
Russell
doughat
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Guatemala

Post by doughat »

Looking at the ABYC tables for 10% voltage drop for a 50 amp draw, it should have 6 gauge for a 40 ft round trip run and 8 gauge for a 30 ft run.
Doug
Sonrisa
1993 28TE
Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

I opened Lewmar windlass box, and there is an insert in the install packet that reads "the wiring sizes recommended in the manual are incorrect" then it details what gauges are required, all gauge sizes are thicker than they have in print elsewhere,obviously a C.Y.A. Move, I'm glad I hadn't bought the wire online yet,
I had no pre installed wiring and could not fit 4 gauge wire in the wiring chase that Albin has on the starboard side, 6 gauge is a tight squeeze so I had to drop down to the profish 700...
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Telicop River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Pedro, I had the same problem with my 27, so I instead put a separate windlass battery under my V-berth and ran #8 wire from my charger to the batt, ran # 4 from the batt to the windlass right above. Works great and nothing even gets warm when I haul anchor. Ben

Return to “Albin Maintenance”