• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Engine mounts for 27FC

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Engine mounts for 27FC

Post by DCatSea »

It looks as if I am going to be changing the 2 aft engine mounts on Mazboot in the not-too-distant future.
I have a few questions about this procedure:

1) Are there any traps I should be looking out for before, during or after the switch?
2) Does anyone have recommendations regarding type and manufacture of engine mounts?
3) Is there a recommended procedure, or do I just unbolt the old ones and replace?
4) Alignment issues - I'm sure there are, but advice here would be most welcome.
5) The 2 for'd mounts are in VG shape. Is it recommended to change all 4, or can I just do the 2 that are looking a bit weary?

Any comments on this job would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Re: Engine mounts for 27FC

Post by TorreyWP »

Doug:

a bit of a loaded query but I thought some of this could help.

First, you have a 4d61 right? Also; what are the observations that have the mounts suspect?

1) No traps, just be prepared for the project ahead, lots of good info out there...Are you sure the mounts need replacing?
2) Vetus makes decent mounts, in my opinion; Barry marine engine mounts are fantastic.
3) I have experience using the method described here: http://www.oceannavigator.com/November- ... ne-mounts/
4) Do an engine alignment after replacing the mounts, no questions asked. In fact, if you are chasing a vibration issue, do an alignment first unless you are seeing or have confirmed bad engine mount symptoms. Like those described here: http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Alignment2.htm
5) Your call captain, lots of theories out there I'm sure but simply put; if $ and effort are no object (I assume you are attempting this job yourself) do 'em all. If one or the other, replace what you know is bad.

I could go on and on about alignment, its important, very important. Especially in our boats, long shafts...(see yacht survey link)
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Thanks Torrey, very useful comments, that I will be following up on. I am working on sound suppression on my awesome 4D61 Lehman diesel that runs very well but which generates a lot of noise, especially when running at 2200 rpm or more. I reckon that new mounts will help a lot, and that a good sound blanket and deck insulation will reduce noise by at least 50%.
Yes, I do intend to do this myself, but if I get into real trouble my dock has a couple of very good mechanics who I will be asking to do the alignment.
All is good for now, so this will be a major task for the winter lay-up.

Doug
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Update time:

After consulting with mechanics at marina I am going to let them do the whole engine mount job.
This for 3 reasons:
1) Working stag, I don't have the cranage to raise and support the engine while removing old mounts. (Lower back issue - too much rugby as a lad - makes lifting heavy stuff an annoyance)
2) I think alignment is best done professionally.
3) Said mechanic's rate for work was too good to miss.

All I need now is to address the old issue of locating mounts for a 4D61. Brian Smith (Yes, Bob's son) at American Diesel in Kilmarnock VA probably has a supplier in NJ who made the original 2M51 mounts, and apparently can still fabricate them "at reasonable cost" (whatever that means).

If not, I'll be on AOG again, screaming out for a heads up on replacement mounts.

Next in line is to update/upgrade engine room sound suppression, and then fire her up in April and head out with sunset on the starboard quarter.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

I have just fitted 4 new engine mounts to "Mazboot", and not before time (see pix). After consulting with engineers at home base and at Chesapeake Marine at Herrington North, I settled for PYI R&D 0800-20s rate at 231 lbs. per.

They are now installed, but not aligned yet, but I'm not expecting there to be any issues there. The mounts were a little tight, but I had expected to need to do some shaving and drilling, neither of which turned out to be necessary (phew!). Everything looks very shipshape, and I have every expectation of a slightly quieter ride this year.

Will post pix of installed mounts once I get the rest of the ER cleaned up. In the meantime, here are old and news.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Have now completed 95% 0f the past winter's work. Splashed last week and went out for a couple of shakedowns in the last couple of days.

What a huge difference the new engine mounts made to the overall noise level. These PYI R&D 0800-20s are serious about dampening vibration and excess noise. I know the 4D61 is not the quietest engine in the world, but I can now hear my music at 6.5 kts, so all is good.

I'll be posting post-refit pix very shortly.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing the difference...see you soon!
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida

Return to “Albin Maintenance”