• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 30FC Fuel Tank Replacement

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Maine69
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Westerly

Albin 30FC Fuel Tank Replacement

Post by Maine69 »

I am researching replacing fuel tanks on an Albin 30 FC (family cruiser) from 2005 that is for sale.
I understand that there are two aluminum fuel tanks (around 65 gallons each) that are on the rear sides of the boat and that lie under the berths in the aft cabin. I have several questions and would be very grateful for answers and assistance.

1) Can the tanks be removed and replaced without cutting into the decks or other parts of the boat?

2) What is the least expensive option for replacing the tanks? Are ready made tanks in the available space, available from a supplier or will I have to have new tanks fabricated? Are there polyethylene tanks available that will fit? The boat has a Yanmar diesel engine

3) Is it possible to refurbish the old tanks without replacing them?

4) The boat will be brought to the Westerly, RI/ Stonington, CT area. Could you suggest a reputable outfit that can do the job of replacing the tanks at a reasonable price?

5) Can someone suggest a rough ballpark estimate for the replacement?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Albin 30FC Fuel Tank Replacement

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Fuel tanks are usually priced by the gallon...that gets you close enough for a ballpark. Unfortunately prices can very GREATLY even in a particular area - the high to low price for my area was almost double for the 28 fuel tank. I would recommend aluminum and custom made. There are a few places that make custom poly tanks but when I was looking for a tank for shady the price was higher on the poly tank, and given the space I would have lost a few gallons of capacity. Likely you are looking at having one made. I don't know about the 30fc, but on the 28 I was able to pull the tank without cutting. And a 30fc is basically a 28 with a rear cabin...but I don't know what the deck looks like.

Standish boatyard in CT currently owns the albin name and is making boats under then moniker, they also have most of the spare parts for the Albins. I have no experience with them but you could consider contacting them to see what they say. I would have to check my paperwork for what I paid for my tank but I don't have that at work with me at the moment.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Maine69
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Westerly

Post by Maine69 »

Thanks Jeremyvmd, I have PMed you for further details.

If anyone has experience with a reasonable outfit in the CT/RI area who will custom fabricate a tank I would love to hear about them. Please PM me if necessary.

Thanks again.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I had a brain fart, they are in RI not CT!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I'm pretty sure the original tanks would have been made by Luther's in Bristol RI. (Mine were) You might give them a shout.

http://www.lutherswelding.com/index.html
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”