• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar Mechanics Southern Maine

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

gfuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portland, ME

Yanmar Mechanics Southern Maine

Post by gfuller »

I'm not trying to bash any particular service provider so I'm not going to mention any names, but rather, my experience so far. I would also welcome some recommendations as well if any of you locals happen to have them!

Basically, I'm just trying to have the 1250hr work done on my 6LP-STE which is the timing belt, valves, heat exchanger cleaning etc...

I went back and forth with a Yanmar certified service provider out of Portland for about a month. It started with them coming out to see the boat, telling me they needed at least 3" clearance from the main pulley to the gas tank (completely understandable), saying I needed to pull the engine to get this clearance unless I could move the fuel tank back (which I did the same day they came to see the boat). I had it all ready to go and called the mechanic to hopefully get something on the books (this had been going on for about 3 weeks at this point, trying to get a quote and have them come see the boat). The next and last time I spoke with them, it was suggested that I just pop the cover and visually inspect the timing belt to see if it looked worn and run it another season if it looked ok. Clearly, they did not want to do the work so I said "sure" and that was that.

Moving on... About 1.5 weeks ago I contact another certified Yanmar dealer/service center out of Yarmouth. They sent a very nice gentleman out to check the boat out. He was very knowledgeable and helpful and stated how well the engine looked etc... and showed me things to look for in the future. The initial quote was for 19 hours of work (timing belt and heat exchanger cleaning) plus potentially another 4 hours of work if they were to run barnacle buster through the raw water cooling system afterward. This came to over $3200. I said to wait on the heat exchanger cleaning as I can do that myself and certainly not the barnacle buster flush as that is ridiculous to pay $400 in labor for that!

So a few days later I'm still waiting on the second quote I've been promised a couple days ago and considering looking elsewhere to just get on the calendar. I'm planning on launching in 2 weeks and am getting a little frustrated wasting so much time with these people.

Anyone have any suggestions of a GOOD service provider for Yanmar in the area?
1999 Albin 28 TE Yanmar 6LP-STE
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Re: Yanmar Mechanics Southern Maine

Post by TorreyWP »

Any luck finding someone to help so far? I know this thread is a couple weeks old and Im sure everyone there is getting busy quickly.

The services you are seeking seem reasonable for the time on the engine, if possible I would not compromise on the list. Full disclosure; as a young professional mechanic, I felt slightly obligated to chime in here; visual inspection of belts is not uncommon but a belt as critical as the timing belt, this visual inspection is not suitable. Yanmar dictates service intervals for parts like this for a reason. Belt breaks underway = dead in the water.

I have a few connection in Portland/Cape Elizabeth/Scarborough area, send me an email or pm if I can help.

Best,
Torrey
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portland, ME

Post by gfuller »

Torrey - I really wish I had seen this earlier. Please see my post of my recent experience here and feel free to comment:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10057

And yes - I'll definitely be looking for someone reasonable.

Casco Bay diesel's estimate was about $1000, south port marine was $900. Of course, I found this out after.

This was just for timing belt of course. I did all the other service myself including pulling the ends off all the heat exchangers, rydlyme flush etc... Took a couple of hours for me to do it by myself and this was the first time. I'll do the timing belt as well in a 1000 hours as that was pretty darn straight forward.
1999 Albin 28 TE Yanmar 6LP-STE
Lobstabuoy
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Post by Lobstabuoy »

Have any of you guys worked with Portland Yacht Services? I hear they have a reputable diesel mechanic....
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

gfuller wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 10:06 am Torrey - I really wish I had seen this earlier. Please see my post of my recent experience here and feel free to comment:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10057

And yes - I'll definitely be looking for someone reasonable.

Casco Bay diesel's estimate was about $1000, south port marine was $900. Of course, I found this out after.

This was just for timing belt of course. I did all the other service myself including pulling the ends off all the heat exchangers, rydlyme flush etc... Took a couple of hours for me to do it by myself and this was the first time. I'll do the timing belt as well in a 1000 hours as that was pretty darn straight forward.
Replace the idler as well. The valve timing adjustment is also part of that recommended service interval.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal

Return to “Albin Maintenance”