• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Stern bearing housing removal

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: san diego

Stern bearing housing removal

Post by socalmike »

I am having my diver pull my prop this week to send to have it computer tuned. I am considering having him pull the stern bearing housing and replace the cutlass. Can this be done in the water with a skilled diver or better done on land.

thoughts?

Thanks.

Mike
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Re: Stern bearing housing removal

Post by Jack »

I think it has to be on land. How would you keep the water from rushing into your hull once the packing is removed?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Jack wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 8:08 pm I think it has to be on land. How would you keep the water from rushing into your hull once the packing is removed?
As long as his shaft seal is in place he should be okay. (I think!) Now, as for the practicality of doing it underwater??? I guess if the diver is experienced in the job, but I'd think you'd be better off with a short haul. Seems like a lot of pieces and parts to be mucking with.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by socalmike »

Dripless is in place. I may haul for a cutlass change. Still undecided. Thanks.
socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Stern bearing housing removal. UPDATE

Post by socalmike »

Well. I had the boat hauled today. Went well. Pulled the prop to send to get computer scanned. Removed the stern bearing housing only to find the portion that goes into the keel, in a bunch of pieces. I highly suspect this is the source of my higher rpm wobble. I know Russell has modified the length of the cutlass bearing to sit inside of the stern tube. Was wondering if there is more detail on this method, or just bite the bullet and order a new one.

Also, there is/was some oily fluid dripping from the lower bolt hole that holds the stern bearing hosing in place as if there is water/oil in he keel????

Thanks as always.

Mike

Return to “Albin Maintenance”