• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Updated the floor in our Albin

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Updated the floor in our Albin

Post by Legacy »

In case anyone is interested.

Last summer we installed a new floor in our Albin 35TE. After a lot of debate we selected Amtico's Teak & Holly vinyl product and had it installed by "Teakworks by Magogo". They do a great job at a great price. Their website is: http://teakworks.mynewweb31.com/

I will post some photos is anyone is interested.

Spring is just around the corner!

Rick
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Post those pics! (and any info on cost if you don't mind...the boss would love a teak and holly sole - not sure where it is on my list)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Legacy »

I'll get some shots posted in a few days. The floor came out great. It would be beautiful in the 28TE (we just sold ours). We had the floor done in our 35TE which is more complicated than the 28. We have two engine hatches in the main salon, the lower galley and the forward stateroom. All labor including surface prep, carpet removal, laying out and trimming all the pieces individually (as opposed to a sheet product) and clean up was about $2800. The 28 might be half that? We bought our boat last year (a 1997) and the warden insisted the old carpet had to go. She's an architect and reviewed all the products before choosing the one we did. Teakworks by Magogo did a great job with installation and came in on time and under budget.

Rick
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Rick,
Very interested. Can't wait to see the photos.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Floor photos

Post by Legacy »

Went down to the boat this weekend and took a few shots of the floor. Thought they might be of interest. I also just opened a phtobucket account so if this screwed up, I'll try again.

Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Looks great! I am jealous.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
team one
Mate
Mate

Post by team one »

I am thinking about putting in a floor like this, have a 32 Albin, How is it holding up? Would you do anything different in the installation, color etc. Did you do the stairs or were the stairs that way. thanks in advance
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

That is beautiful. I was recently wondering what it would take to do that in our boat. We have carpet, but it just snaps in place over the fiberglass floor, which has non-skid on it. Was your floor like that?
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Floor

Post by Legacy »

Sorry to be tardy in responding to your questions about my floor. It still looks great after nearly two seasons. Just needs a damp mop every week or so. Seems impervious to damage and I'm still getting compliments. I would not change color. Looks real. Nobody believes me when I tell them it's a vinyl product. They still insist on touching it and telling me I'm crazy, that it is in fact wood. (I don't hang with the brightest people!) The floor has texture fr an authentic feel and to keep it form getting slippery. I did not do the two steps down to the galley. Kept them the original wood to prevent any slipping hazard.

All the best,

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Flooring looks good

Post by Pitou »

Hey Rick,
I keep returning to your post on the flooring and I must say it looks good. I sent for flooring samples and they provided your guys name as an installer. They sent me some trim strips for the edges, which do not excite me. I noticed from your photos that it does not appear they were used in your installation, making for what I think a cleaner looking job. How did the installer secure the edges and or trim out? I'm especially curious around the hatches.

This is something that is on the top of my spring list and I am having a hard time with the idea of replacing with carpet again. Your input would be appreciated.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Floor/trim

Post by Legacy »

We did not use any of the trim pieces to keep the look really clean. Each strip is hand cut and laid down right to the edges. Gives it a nice look. Not totally perfect, but absolutely no complaints. Hatches were done so the strips line up with the surrounding pieces. Bob Benassi from TeakWorks by Magogo really takes his time and does a nice job. I would call him asap as I know he can be booked up to a year in advance.

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”