• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

The Vetus Bow Thruster

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

The Vetus bow thruster

Post by Pitou »

Hello all / new to the board.

Jack
Perfect explanation, nice job!

One last tip / I used the same lock nut again 3 seasons in a row after changing out the zinc. After a short time the nut backed off and ooops /off went the thruster prop :( I suspect the plastic in the lock nut had worn from being reused, so much for the lock part. I now replace the nut as well each season for about 50 cents. Sure beats the 65 bucks (+) shipping for a new prop.

kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

If you buy a replacement zinc (recommended annual), it comes with the locking nut and nylon washer for replacing.

Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Vetus Bowthruster

Post by Pitou »

My local prop shop has always just sold me the zinc / loose stock / no nut
I've learned to ask. That's how they also sell my prop nut zinc / no screw It's ridiculous having to ask / a-la-carte!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Froggy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Zinc on ALbin 28 TE 1993

Post by Froggy »

I contacted Albin about a zinc and they sent me a zinc that looks like a truncated U but I can't figure out how it installs. It doesn't llok like it would fit int he oil plug like some have suggested. Any thoughts?

Also, where is the oil fil for the 23kg bow thruster? I see a drain screw and there is also a screw above the prop but I don't see how you could possibly get oil into there due to the tunne/

THoughts?
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Froggy, it sounds like you have the same thruster that I have. I went round and round for two years but could not find where the zinc went. I finally contacted Vetus and spoke to a real person. He was very knowledgeable about the several different 23 kgf thrusters out there. He e-mailed me the parts layout and numbers for the several thrusters manufactured during that time period. My thruster does not have a zinc mounted to it. The drawings he sent me do show a zinc mounted inside the tunnel with a wire inside going to the housing. I do not have a zinc mounted inside the tunner though, my ground wire attached to the housing runs to the back of the boat to a block zinc. I also purchased the zinc that you describe from Defender, I will be returning it. A different 23kgf thruster manufactured a few months later than mine uses that type of zinc and the drawing shows ity being mounted on the very bottom of the housing using a bolt. Hope this helps. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Froggy wrote:Hi Denis,

Ah, that helps. I studied the housing as best I could and couldn't find any place to attach the U-shaped zinc so I'll send it back to Vetus.

My thruster is also groudned to the boat system but I don't have any block zinc on the stern. I have the two buttons on the trim tabs, a prop zinc over the prop nut and the zincs on the rudder.

None of this was a big concern when I had the boat in Annapolis becasue the water is brackish and it was on a lift. Up here though it is in the water all the time. THe guy I bought her from used her for about 8 years before I purchased her and, apaprently, had no zinc onthe thruster nor in the tunnel from what I could determine. The guy at Vetus said you could use a tunnel zinc but I'm loathe to put any holes below the water line.

So,a s I understand it, you have a block zinc on the stern grounded to the system. If that's correct, I'll try that approach in the fall when I haul her as I'm only a day or so from launch.

Thanks again for your input.

Carl
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Here is a picture of the zinc on the bottom of my 23kgf thruster. You can see the head of the bolt on the very bottom.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t256 ... ruster.gif
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
davidbriggs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Vetus Bow Thruster

Post by davidbriggs »

AlMar wrote:Russ (new owner) and I got to communicating locally, and the subject of Bow Thrusters came up. Has anyone had any problems with the Vetus? Is there a need for regular maintenance? Personally, I change the shear pin whenever I pull it, but haven't done any real "service" to it. Recommendations?
AlMar
I have a 93 with a Vetus Bow Thruster. I have been noticing lately that seems to overload quite easily. It overloads, resets automatially, then will run again before it overloads again. This seems to happen mostly to the Starboard side.
Any idea?
David Briggs
Pete
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pete »

Did you ever resolve this ?
ladyT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oak Beach

Post by ladyT »

I have a 1998 Side Power 4hp bow thruster. My control push button switch went bad and was told those 3-wire switches were no longer available. I would have to switch to a 4-wire switch and would need an upgrade kit and harness. Can anyone shed any light on this for me ? Any tips
On how to remove white plastic cover to get to the solenoid. Thanks for any help that you may render
Ken Birkmire
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Lady t. I would reccomend starting a new thread on the topic. More likely to get views than an old thread! Unfortunately I have a vetus and can't help you:/
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by kowal_53 »

The have added a link to another Vetus string. Carl points out a source for getting the zincs, which is probably cheaper than Vetus. (TE 28 - 35)

I actually lost my propeller last year too. The zone was gone. I replace both and things are good again.

My bow thruster does not have a shear pin, but the older model do have them.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9525
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP

Return to “Albin Maintenance”