• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

27FC Helm refit

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

27FC Helm refit

Post by DCatSea »

In my previously published honey-do list for Winter 2017 I listed removing Mazboot's helm station to see what was lurking behind it from POs, and to facilitate easier access to the rats-nest of previously installed, unlabeled and cut off wires behind the console, in an attempt to more fully understand what I have there, what I can chop out, and what I can do to get closer to an ABYC standard for wiring (I know, but its a dream).

Going to be making a start next week, but thought I better ask the AOG Oracle if anyone had done this before (kind of betting that's an affirmative), and if there were any tripwires (no pun intended) to avoid or issues I should be aware of before I start.

Regarding the other big job - engine mounts for my 4D61 - Brian at American Diesel has located 4, and Hugh Carrol at http://www.thermoboat.com/ offers an Australian alternative (Polyflex Mounts) at a reasonable cost inc. shipping.

All this means that by the time we launch in the Spring, Mazboot's electrical system should be less mysterious than in 2016, and she will hopefully be quieter.

Also, of course, we wish all Albineers a safe and happy 2017, with fair winds and not-to-lumpy seas.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 27FC Helm refit - PIX

Post by DCatSea »

OK - I've made a start on the helm station clean-up and rewire. Had to buy 2 new tools - a shaft puller and a set of metric allen keys (ball ended) because the wheel was solid on the Raytheon shaft. Liberal dosing with PB Blaster and a 5/16th socket on a long handle did the job. Next move - remove the dash and helm box.
More pix to follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: 27FC Helm refit

Post by DougSea »

Hey Doug,

I posted this about my helm rebuild in a 28 a few years ago - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3281

There are some links, pictures and discussions. May (or may not) spur some thinking for you as you embark or your project. Good luck!!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Doug

Thanks for the links. I love the picture of the "crazy guy with the router", and know just which planet he is coming from. "Hammer Major" is just a couple of parsecs from "Powertules".

As soon as I get the helm station off, or at least out of the way, I will publish pix of the hole behind it. Who knows, I may even find a PO or 2.

Doug
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Mine wasn't quite as extensive as dougs, but rearranging the dash was one of the better upgrades I have done. Much more user friendly. I do wish I had done more rewireing, but close inspection said it looks decent so I left it for now. Good luck with the project!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

OK - now I have the helm station off and can see what needs to be done to make this cleaner, more accessible and probably safer.

1) Existing wiring is surprisingly sound; it needs new connectors, and removal of multiple tags, joins and old in-line glass fuses.
2) Labelling, labelling, labelling - first I have to find out what goes where, and remove or at least decipher, many excess wires that must have once done something.
3) Trace undefined circuits and update or remove as necessary.
4) Replace existing multiple older model small busses and glass fuses, with 2 modern busses (essential and non-essential circuits) and fuse panels.
5) Replace older model switches for wipers, running lights, horn.
6) Add new chart light and USB connections.
7) Replace inverter.

Here are the first 2 project pix.

Before:
IMG_3269.JPG

After initial clean up:
IMG_3273.JPG
Watch this space for updates.

Question: Can anyone tell me how to reorient pix?
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak

Return to “Albin Maintenance”