• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar engines

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Ray Morley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yanmar engines

Post by Ray Morley »

Last May i sold my Albin 28, by accident (last February someone came into the boatyard and asked if the boat was for sale and like most I said sure. They bought it) So I went looking and found an Albin Trawler 36 feet with two yanmar engines. And yes, they are the Yanmar 6 Lp . Each engine has about 450 hours. I discovered the engines ran well except the port engine was blowing blue grey smoke. It was a lot of smoke not just whispers. In fact my previous albin with the same engine never smoked it just ran very well. So I had my mechanic adjust the valves and discovered that normal maintenance was always completed but timing belts, and valve adjustment had not been done.

We thought the valve adjustment would make the smoke problem go away it didn't. The starboard engines runs well, no smoke sounds great, etc. The port engine is troublesome. It continues to blow blue grey smoke. So I was thinking the injectors (one or more) could be bad, but I was also thinking it could be the turbo charger. Can they "plug up" . I was also thinking the chances of the injectors being bad with such low hours may no be the problem but it might very well be the turbo charger. I love the boat went to Nantucket, and that's when I discovered the problem. Not only did the engine blow smoke there was a great deal of black sooty carbon all over the engine room. In fact the soot found it's way into the storage lockers and galley draws in the cabin.

Before i start with a hit and miss approach I am hoping someone has some ideas. You can answer this post or even call me on my cell 978 337 1561. The name of my boat is "Sea Inn"

Ray Morley
Ipswich Inn
Ipswich Ma.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Yanmar engines

Post by RobS »

Blue Smoke: Are you "making oil" or using oil ?

Soot in Engine Room: Investigate for an exhaust leak.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Ray Morley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ray Morley »

oil does not drop. Not using oil it seems we are making oil. any ideas?

Ray Morley
Sea Inn
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

By "making" I mean diesel fuel into the crankcase... Consider an oil sample on both engines and compare fuel % in the oil. Fuel in the oil could be issue with pump or injectors.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

Sounds like incomplete combustion to me, possibly caused by over fueling or a piston ring issue. You may be on the right track with doing the timing belt service and having the injectors serviced. Beyond that, with the injectors out it might be a good time to get a comp. test done. Special tools may be required to do the test.
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

A comprehensive oil analysis will tell the story but they are more useful over time. My friend who is a LE rep solved the reason a detroit two stroke tore up several times using tests. If your injectors are having a issue you will be putting more diesel in the engine than it can process. Then the fuel dilution rate will climb and the smoke will occur. If your oil level is dropping (over time) and a low fuel dilution rate is present it is rings or valve guides etc.. Again test results over time tell the story.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

You don't need tests over time to find a "red flag". Especially in the case of a twin screw here. Fuel dilution can be the result of the operator repeatedly running the engine(s) dockside with zero load, or motoring around just over idle speed. These scenarios due not allow proper heat for full combustion and the fuel accumulates in the lube oil. Since this is a twin screw if one is high and one is not high he can rule out "operation" as the culprit.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi don't know if this will help. Check the air intake lines for obstructions go all the way to the motor. That happened on an old excavator I had it smoked really badly and that was the problem

Return to “Albin Maintenance”