• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 43 with TAMD40A 130 hp

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

JeffScott92
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston

Albin 43 with TAMD40A 130 hp

Post by JeffScott92 »

I am currently looking at an Albin 43 with twin TAMD40a engines. Anyone have experience with a similar set up? Any issues particular with this engine? Expected fuel burn at 7-8 knots?
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Albin 43 with TAMD40A 130 hp

Post by Tree »

No experience with an Albin but had the tamd 41p rates at 200 bhp in a previous boat. 1200 faultless hours on that engine. As far as I'm concerned, good solid engines. Just be cautious of the oil coolers as they're raw water cooled.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
J0k3r
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland, OR

Re: Albin 43 with TAMD40A 130 hp

Post by J0k3r »

I have TAMD40A engines (148hp version with MS3B transmission) in our recently acquired tri-cabin with about 1350 hours each, and by appearance only, not well maintained by the PO. As far a fuel consumption goes, I plugged our data into the boatdeisel.com prop calculator and found our configuration is likely over-propped with 21"/14 props. It says combined fuel consumption is 4.9 gal/hr@2000 RPM 8.9 knots (we were getting about 8 knots in rough seas) which does seem about right based on the move from Winchseter Bay to Portland OR. Recommended prop from boatdiesel.com is 19"/12 and that works out to 2.9 gal/hr@2000 7.5 knots. What is interesting here is that once you get to the 8-9 knot range, adding 1 knot of speed will double fuel consumption, so don't be in a hurry unless fuel and range is not an issue for you.
Forty Six & 2
1984 49 Tri-Cabin
Twin Volvo TAMD40A
Portland, OR
http://mvfortysixandtwo.com

Return to “Albin Maintenance”