• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

sound proofing

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

dosched
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart, FL

sound proofing

Post by dosched »

I'm looking to put some sound proofing material in the engine room of my 1990 32+2. Looking for recommendations as to materials and procedures.
Thanks
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: sound proofing

Post by WillieC »

saltypaws
Mate
Mate
Home Port: port charlotte fl. March 2019 Relocated to Clifton Royal New Brunswic

Post by saltypaws »

Dosched, last year I removed the motor box from our A-25. The yellow fiberglass insulation had deteriated to the point the material was falling off and making a mess. Scraped the old off then cleaned with acetone.
After much study we chose Silent Running. This is a paint on product that goes on thick and in the Florida sun dried in minutes. I used 5 cotes it took about 1 hour. the product is grey and easily cleaned. We are very happy with the results. Much quieter than the original.
We bought the silent running in Canada but I think that it is available at Defender.
dosched
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dosched »

Thank you both for the come back. Willie's link to the sound proof conversation has some great information. The dynamat product sounds good.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Here's another recent post:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9772
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

I'm sorry to say as part of my recent relo from Tampa to St. Pete I tossed my remaining dynamat sheets. The stuff works like a charm and can be cut with simple household scissors.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
dosched
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dosched »

I was just at the Stuart Boat Show and talked to some people selling the Sea Deck product. Started thinking about putting something down on the outside instead of inside. He told me the product would reduce the noise by 40 decibels. Has anyone ever done this.
Don

Return to “Albin Maintenance”