• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Brushes for Bow Thruster

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Brushes for Bow Thruster

Post by Serenity »

I had originally posted this under swap and sell forum. However, I feel that this should be under maintenance. I had issues with Vetus direct on what brushes I required for my #23KGF bow thruster. I had ordered brushes as per my data sheets but they were wrong. After going back and forth withy Vetus, the correct part my thruster was AL100. Since I had an AC unit installed above the bow thruster, I found it difficult to get in there to check the brushes. The boat is 18 years old as well as the thruster. The yard cheated and pulled out the entire thruster, checked the armature and replaced the brushes. The original thruster brushes are 26X9X26 mm. My used brushes were only 22X9X26 mm. Vetus recommends that the brushed be change at 13 mm. I had 9 mm. to go before I would have an issue. The bow thruster is my second "engine" and I didn't want to have a failure when backing in at an unfamiliar marina.
I also wanted the yard to replace my anode on the thruster. the #23KGF doesn't have one. However, I have the anode for it!
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Brushes for Bow Thruster

Post by RobS »

Serenity wrote: The bow thruster is my second "engine" and I didn't want to have a failure when backing in at an unfamiliar marina.
No, Boat US or SeaTow is your "second engine"... I'd say the bowthruster is your "dockhand", "pride-saver" or "ego-booster"! Sure would be better if it was stealth quiet..
Serenity wrote: I also wanted the yard to replace my anode on the thruster. the #23KGF doesn't have one.
It doesn't? Says who, the yard-monkeys?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Rob, there is nothing there to mount an anode. No indentation on the housing for the anode to be screwed into. If you are in the neighborhood, give me a call and you can show me the location of the anode.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Can you post up a pic of your anode?
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Here is a picture of the Vetus 23kgf with a new anode installed on the bottom. If you do not have one there will either be a bolt or a threaded hole on the bottom where the anode attaches. They are available at boatzincs.com as model B-129. I found it much cheaper to purchase the Bennett trim tab zincs, cut them in half and mount them at the same place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

That's what I was trying to figure out is if it takes the same anode as the 50kg like I have. I didn't think mine took one either till I saw what the anode looks like
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Jeremyvmd wrote:That's what I was trying to figure out is if it takes the same anode as the 50kg like I have. I didn't think mine took one either till I saw what the anode looks like
Yes the BOW 23A, 50, 80 all take the same zinc. Maybe a bolt broke off in the threaded hole on Max's housing and it's since been painted over. who knows...

Max now you know exactly where to look, go check it out, take some pictures and report back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”