• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

NC owners?

bpevans
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

NC owners?

Post by bpevans »

I'm in NC, live down in the Beaufort area and am looking at making an offer on a early 2000s Albin 28. Anyone in this NC area that would share their thoughts on running the boat here or advise what to look for on a sea trial. Any surveyor in this area you'd suggest for checking out an Albin pre-purchase?

Thanks!
Chris & Dale

Re: NC owners?

Post by Chris & Dale »

Unless the vessel is very close I doubt someone will travel to you. I drove to Annapolis from Southport, NC.

This may seem very self-serving as I have my 28TE for sale, but I'd say the following is my rank order of what was important to me when I purchased ours:
1. Documentation of service - Knowing the history of the vessel's maintenance tells a very important story of just how much the owner cared for the vessel and that some of the key scheduled maintenance (e.g. timing belt change) was done as recommended by the manufacturer. The more you know.....
2. Find a competent surveyor that's recommended by locals in the area. If possible meet with the surveyor before contracting him/her. I had to do mine by internet and phone, but felt good about it when I signed the contract.
3. Number of owners - the more owners the less likely you'll be able to get the history.
4. Sea Trial - Go with your surveyor as you will learn a lot during the sea trial as he talks you through things. Request the engine be started COLD when you get there and not pre-warmed. Test everything. If you have easy access to the ocean get out there and run it up to about 3200 rpms....when trimmed properly you'll be impressed how well she performs.
5. Don't step over the dollars to pick up the pennies - Sellers will usually take care of big ticket items found by the survey, but they also find lots of small stuff. Most small stuff can be dealt with later so don't loose a good deal.

Well, that's about all the "wisdom" I have to offer. Trust your gut and you'll end up with a great boat.

Good Luck!
bpevans
Mate
Mate

Post by bpevans »

Thanks for the advise.

The original post may have been worded poorly as far as running an Albin in this area. I'm curious how many folks do 30-40mi runs offshore to fish and what advise they have about the Albin 28 for that type of use here in NC?
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Before retiring to Florida I lived in Norfolk, VA and went out 70 miles to the gulfstream when the tuna were running. I could go out, troll all day and return with plenty of fuel in reserve. The Albin 28 is a great boat for this because of the economical fuel burn, the relative comfort of the ride, and the safety of the design so you need not worry if an unexpected storm pops up. I don't see why it would not be ideal for use out of NC. Before I purchased my first Albin I worried about the summer heat in a pilothouse boat but it is actually much better than an open boat. The pilot house provides shade and with the windows open there is plenty air to stay cool. You will be able to fish all winter and you will really enjoy the pilot house when the wind is blowing waves across the boat and all the center console people are in foul weather gear.
If no one gives you a personal recommendation,you can find a surveyor on this site: http://www.marinesurvey.org/index.html

Good luck with the purchase
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Russell wrote:Before retiring to Florida I lived in Norfolk, VA and went out 70 miles to the gulfstream when the tuna were running. I could go out, troll all day and return with plenty of fuel in reserve. The Albin 28 is a great boat for this because of the economical fuel burn, the relative comfort of the ride, and the safety of the design so you need not worry if an unexpected storm pops up. I don't see why it would not be ideal for use out of NC. Before I purchased my first Albin I worried about the summer heat in a pilothouse boat but it is actually much better than an open boat. The pilot house provides shade and with the windows open there is plenty air to stay cool. You will be able to fish all winter and you will really enjoy the pilot house when the wind is blowing waves across the boat and all the center console people are in foul weather gear.
If no one gives you a personal recommendation,you can find a surveyor on this site: http://www.marinesurvey.org/index.html

Good luck with the purchase
Completely agree with Russell. We do 120 - 130 NM mile jaunts with our 99 and Yanmar 6LP engine. My WOT speed is north of 21 kts. In the right sea conditions. They are great little pick up trucks for the ocean.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

bpevans wrote:Thanks for the advise.

The original post may have been worded poorly as far as running an Albin in this area. I'm curious how many folks do 30-40mi runs offshore to fish and what advise they have about the Albin 28 for that type of use here in NC?
My 28 was purchased for the purpose of doing exacly what you are describing as well as touring with the wife (ran barenegate bay to cape May via the ocean and that's about 60ish nm). These boats due to their efficient sea kindly hulls are great for covering distance. They don't cruise at 30+, but most of the guys with those boats rarely cruise there in he ocean due to conditions! I'd rather have a slower boat that will go through everything than a fast boat you can't use!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
bpevans
Mate
Mate

Post by bpevans »

Thanks guys! Put in an offer on an '01 Cummins/Engine Box model yesterday and hoping we can come to an agreement soon. Had hoped to find a more recent model but hopefully the survey comes back clean on this one.

Also, I've seen several with a bigger dash space that looks like it was aftermarket glass work done for more electronics mounting space. Anyone have some links to how those projects were done or components used? I'd be looking at adding a second 10" plotter to this boat and very much prefer things flush mounted over brackets being used.

Saw some ceiling mounted radio boxes too that looked closer to off-the-shelf components in some listing photos of other Albins.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Congrats hope everything goes well! Pay close attention to the turbo and the exhaust elbow. check out the thread in this section about poor exhaust design on the Cummins boats...nothing that cant be dealt with and not every boat has an issue, but its something you will want to have checked out closely!
bpevans
Mate
Mate

Post by bpevans »

Jeremyvmd wrote:Congrats hope everything goes well! Pay close attention to the turbo and the exhaust elbow. check out the thread in this section about poor exhaust design on the Cummins boats...nothing that cant be dealt with and not every boat has an issue, but its something you will want to have checked out closely!
I've read that thread at length, the posts all seem to refer to an earlier 300hp Cummins diesel. Did the later 370hp Cummins have the same problem? Asked in that thread but no replies as of yet.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I believe (don't quote me on this) that all Cummins motors can be affected as they all have the turbo in a similar spot...its more about the location of the turbo in relation to the waterline than anything else...ill say ive seen some 370hp Cummins in 32+2's that had the same kind of issues that are seen in the 28's, but at the same time, my dads 32+2 doesn't have any water issues with the turbo, so I think its a boat to boat thing...

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”