• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Duel helm ignition sytem

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

tsantoro
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Marblehead MA

Duel helm ignition sytem

Post by tsantoro »

I have keyed ignition switches at both upper and lower helm stations (single engine). I can only shut-off from the switch I started up from. Shouldn't they have been wired so you could start / shut-off from either station regardless of which station you started from? What am I missing?
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: Duel helm ignition sytem

Post by rebuckley »

It depends. The ignition switch allows the power to go to the panel, it may be wired so that the "stop" is directly connected to the ignition switch at each station. (this is what it sounds like) so the only "stop" switch that is getting power, will be the one you have "turned on" by using the ignition. you can check easily by testing the stop button with a multi-meter, if ignition is off and you get no volts, and ignition on gives you 12 volts, you know it is connected to the key. If you have 2 keys, you could turn both stations on, and try to start/stop from different stations. You will probably get the low oil pressure alarm going off once you do - as a key will be on, and engine off.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Duel helm ignition sytem

Post by catalina_mike »

The second station should be in parallel as shown on the factory diagram. So when the ignition is turned on on one it should power the other and the stop should work at either station. Time for a volt meter and beer..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal

Return to “Albin Maintenance”