• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Thruster prop paint

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Thruster prop paint

Post by Russell »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good paint to use on the bow thruster propeller. I have used bottom paint and the Pettit zinc coat spray paint and nothing really works. Barnacles seem to grow extremely well on the prop and gearbox inside that tunnel.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Thruster prop paint

Post by RobS »

Welcome to FL Russ! I would talk to some of the locals who are "in the know" since that is an environment thing, not boat specific.

In the meantime just leave the bow thruster running while you're not using the boat :shock: just tie the bow tight and don't forget to leave the battery charger on :wink:

Can't believe that in a month my snowbird parents will be heading back to Palm City...the seasons just fly right by..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

I've used Pettit Hydrocoat ECO, water-based, NO copper, anto-fouling bottom paint on EVERYTHING....INCLUDING METALS.
Spray your metals with the zinc spray, and topcoat with Hydrocoat ECO. Remove thruster prop and clean inside and out, and paint two thin coats of Hydrocoat ECO. Paint the elbow of the thruster, but do not coat the thruster zinc.

Before I used the regular Hydrocoat with copper, and had tons of barnacles in metals. Pettit tech staff explained that when copper is over other metals, a slight electrolysis current is established, PREVENTING, the copper from leaching, rendering it ineffective. Once I went with Hydrocoat ECO.......problems solved.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Bob, thanks for the recommendation. I had not thought of hydrocoat and will try it next time. I already applied Pettit zinc coat this year. It seems to hold up well on the main propeller and metal parts like the skeg bar but the thruster prop is plastic. I sanded it a bit and will see if that helps with adherence.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”