• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Heater plug removal

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Heater plug removal

Post by Serenity »

I was talking to a current owner of the Yanmar engine. He removed his heater plugs, taped off the ends and plugged the hole. The engine runs fine without them. Has anyone else done the same? One member said they were a bear to get out on the flushdeck. On my engine box, it looks like the right socket will screw them out.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: Heater plug removal

Post by kerrye »

Are you referring to glow plugs? Engines will often start in warm weather without glow plugs but won't start in cold weather without them.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

The YANMAR 315 does not have glow plugs. They are more like a heater coil to heat the air going to the engine as an emission control.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

thumbnail_IMG_1441.jpg

This is what you have to do in a flush deck to remove and replace. I did mine last winter as PM as recommended. Once I replaced them, I sealed the pieces with epoxy and then used some 4200 to glue them back in place. Next time will only need a knife to remove them.

thumbnail_IMG_1442.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Carl, you "glued" them in place? Why?
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Not the heaters, the pieces of fiberglass that were cut out with a hole saw.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Grey Eagle
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: HUNTINGTON NY

Post by Grey Eagle »

They are Induction Air Heaters, at least that what I think they are called. The problem is that the coils can with age break off sucking the pieces into the cylinders causing who knows what damage?

I have been told that there are plugs that you can get to insert in the hole that the coil was removed from.

Has anyone done this?
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

A guy in my club has the 370 Yanmar and he plugged them up. No difference in performance except his alternator isn't under load when first starting the engine.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

I was also warned about the "catastrophic failure" when they rust out and are sucked in through the intake. My local Yanmar dealer told me to cap them if I don't use the boat in the winter, but I do go until 12/15, so I simply replaced both.

I can say with certainty that the idle at start is rough in mid-November by me, so I assume the heater plugs are doing something to help as apposed to not heating the intake air at all.
2004 28TE
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

I pulled Serenity early because the other half and I are taking a cruise to Bermuda, if there is anything left. I spoke to the service manger about the heater plugs and removing then. Not a problem, Yanmar sells plugs just for that reason. It was interesting, yesterday morning when I was driving the boat over to the yard, my voltmeter didn't register 14 volts until I was running 15 minutes. Normally it takes less than 5 minutes. It was about 50 degrees The heater plugs put a tremendous amount of drain on the alternator.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”