• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Vetus bow thruster 5512A

kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Vetus bow thruster 5512A

Post by kowal_53 »

My bow thruster runs, but there is no water moving. I have talked to Ventus and they recommended that I check the rubber coupling that attaches the motor to the tail piece. If it was loose that could be it. Other wise I need to replace the whole tail piece.

My rubber coupling was tight, and hand turning the shaft I can see that everything is moving. However I see in the parts diagram that there is a propeller pin. I had asked about this since I have heard of pin searing. He said there was not one. Does any one know differently?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Venus bow thruster 5512A

Post by Russell »

Yes the pin labeled number 11 in the diagram must be there to make the propeller turn. It passes through a hole in the drive shaft and into grooves on the back of the propeller. It is not a shear pin because it is solid stainless steel and will not break easily.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Is it possible the pin wasn't replaced? That's a pretty heavy pin and the prop is plastic...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kowal_53 »

I went to investigate the propeller to see if it was OK. It is nice to have the boat up on a lift. I tried to turn the rubber in the boat with an observer. No turning of the propeller was observed. One last try under power. The observer saw something move. It appears that the nut that holds the propeller has departed the shaft. The propeller was leaning and the pin could be seen in the tunnel. Closer inspection seems to indicate without my glasses, (I am floating on a paddle board in light chop) that the anode has disappeared too. Only the screws remain. How it disappeared I can't say given it was there two years ago, and the boat is up on a lift most of the time. Hard to imagine that there was electrolysis. The treaded shaft looked good.

I intend to order parts and and see what happens after that.
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Vetus bow thruster 5512A

Post by kowal_53 »

Anode is on. New propeller is on, everything works.
No Bananas
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Marina Del Rey, Ca

Post by No Bananas »

Sorry for the late reply. My 2005 just broke a shear pin. This 6mm shear pin drives the whole unit. Remove the motor (mine was two screws) and you will see a removable 1" collar that holds a shear pin. Look on the side of the motor for a serial # and call Mfg just to be sure.
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

About 5 years ago, the bow thruster ran into some thick, floating weeds. The shear pin let go. The motor still turned (a lot quieter, because the prop isn't spinning).
Jamestown Distributers had a blister pak of them, removed motor, replaced pin.....still working!
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

kowal_53 wrote:... It appears that the nut that holds the propeller has departed the shaft.
When you replaced the nut did you use a lock-nut? I'm wondering if the one that "departed" was just a standard (non-locking) nut and it just spun off once it worked itself a little loose. The nut on ours is a nyloc.
NylocNut.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kowal_53 »

I am pretty sure that the old one was indeed a lock nut. The new one is. Perhaps the old one was used too many times.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

kowal_53 wrote:I am pretty sure that the old one was indeed a lock nut. The new one is. Perhaps the old one was used too many times.

That's a good guess. The nylon lock nuts should only be used once. By the way, I also use a split washer lock nut under the nylon lock nut for good measure.
Don.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

If you get your zincs from boatzincs.com, the new zinc come with two new screws and a new nylock SS nut.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”