• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Voltage meter

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Voltage meter

Post by Pedro »

My 1996 Albn 28 with the Penninsular original engine and gauges, has a very intermittent and always very faint (hard to read )digital hour meter. I've had the system checked by two different mechanics,Alternator is putting out 14+ volts,Batteries show 13.9-14.2, but gauge on dash and Garmin both read 12.6-12.8, nothing higher,Sytem operates as normal on 4 days at a mooring,starts right up,house battery 8d doing its job,starting batts seem to hold their charge very well,I'm guessing a bad connection somewhere between the battery bank and panel,where to start?one mech wants to run a new heavier wire from battery bank to panel, and stop guessing,
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Voltage meter

Post by catalina_mike »

In my 99 the place to check is behind the bathroom. I'm assuming the common element is the buss bar that is fed from the battery switch below the step. The connectors they used can have oxidation and create resistance lowering the voltage. Check it there and look for connectors that are discolored. That will be your issue...
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Thanks Mike, There is a lot of green oxidation on the buss,What's the best way to handle that?
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

New ends... Cut the wire and redo the ends. If the wire is not long enough add a terminal strip to extend the wire or splice. The other option is to pull a new wire. Mine would not be that bad to do.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

there is some proper grease made for battery terminals that slows or stops oxidation. Mine came in a small silver paper satchet that you snip off one corner. Its cheap to buy and goes a long way as you don't` need much. Its also useful for the battery terminales
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I have had good luck using an electrical connection spray cleaner such as the one made by CRC available at auto supply stores. With the batteries off you can spray the buss and use a toothbrush to clean up the green deposits and some you may have to disconnect and clean with the spray. Intermittent toggle switches on lights, etc. work perfectly after spraying with the cleaner. After the buss is clean and everything reattached, spray it with something like Boeshield T9 or Corrosion X.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

So all the black wires (-terminals) on bus bar are Green,I'm going to take them off one at time and clean,I'll save remaking ends for lay up as I have a bad history with fine electrical work,I'm more of a hammer and chisel type gut,lol,,
socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: san diego

Post by socalmike »

Woolley wax. You will be shocked how it cleans and coats wiring.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

The Voltage drop you have is to high for operation of The electronics and gauges, no more than 3% in recommended. Yours is over 10%. The problem could be in bad connections but my money would be on wire size. Voltage drop in the circuit is dependent on Current flow (amps) length of run (including ground side) and wire size. Manufactures often run wire to small for loads or owners install extra loads. They are lots of charts on the internet for wire size based on length or run and current flow, don't forget that the length of run includes the ground return, if the helm is 6 feet from the battery bank the length on run is 12 feet. When pulling new wire pull double red and black, or yellow. (some new boats are using yellow for DC ground). My guess is that #10AWG wire would do and you can say goodbye to that big voltage drop.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Thanks,That's exactly what my mechanic suggested,I'll attemp it over the winter,
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

The theory of wire size is logical, however, this problem just sort of worsened over a season or so, slowly the readings slipped lower and lower even though the alternator readings and batteries were reading 13.6-14.1 or so , so it really seems like corrosion but I like the idea of upsizing wires and making fresh connections as I go ,since we're now talking about a 20 year old boat, with lots of original parts engine,tranny ,gauges etc, the "beast" starts,runs,doesn't hardly smoke just want gauges to be accurate,
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Voltage meter update

Post by Pedro »

So I used the crc contact cleaner, it got some of the green off, I loose and reconnected the grounds, went fishing yesterday and for the first time this season the gauge on the garmin read 13.3 volts then down as low as 12.9, but that's a start! I'm definitely on the right track!
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

If you are going to go through all your connections and cleaning them, do yourself a favor and apply some of this product before reassembly. Its cheap and very good. We have used this product for over 2o years in the transit industry, trains, and it lasts until you wipe it off years later. Overtime I take a connection apart, I apply some, especially battery terms. No more "green".

http://www.sanchem.com/electrical-conta ... icant.html
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Thanks I try it,

Return to “Albin Maintenance”