• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Safe Sea State?

djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Safe Sea State?

Post by djpeewee »

We've had a really bad summer for wind and rough seas. Rough seas are a normal part of boating in this area, but this year, nearly every day there's a small craft advisory or gale warning here. It's very difficult to plan trips around the weather so we have just been "toughing it out" sometimes rather than sitting around waiting for good conditions. Several times we have been stuck in seas I wouldn't go out in if I had a choice.

Not the worst we've been in, but last week we went to Victoria, BC, which is about 20NM across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The first 10NM were in 15kt winds and 3-4 foot wind waves on the beam - quite doable in the 28. The last 10NM were in 25+ kt winds with somewhat steep quartering seas of 6' with the top 1/3 breaking. Not real fun, but we survived.

Safe boating relies as much on the skipper and their skills and experience as it does on the seaworthiness of the boat. I don't think any of us would consciously put our boats or ourselves at risk in adverse conditions. But often the weather catches us by surprise. I would take the Albin 28 over just about anything else its size. And, with each encounter I become a better skipper in bad conditions.

My question is what do others experience in their 28? What's the worst you've been in? At what point do you call it quits... if you can? What do you consider "safe" in your 28?
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Safe Sea State?

Post by RobS »

In 8 season I was never ever uncomfortable with how the 28 handled the seas, probably been in 8-10's at times, the low center of gravity is evident in how she stays put, but the TOTAL loss of visibility at times (that no amount of Rain-X could fix) depending on wind and seas combination was dangerous, especially with the abundance of lobster pots in some of the areas here in the northeast.....wrap a rope in the running gear in heavy seas and things go south super fast..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I can also say I've seen 7-8's in mine. It's not a nice place to be as we have very short seas here where the water is deep in the English Channel and then becomes shallow quickly around the Isle of Wight but then I bought the Albin after going to sea in one after a force 8 gale the previous night where conditions wouldn't have been favourable in other boats.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Those are very scary photos, Rob.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

Each time I think I tested the limits of the boat (or my limits), a new situation arises. Back in June, my two fishing partners and I signed up for our 3rd shark tournament. I checked the weather for the day, and of course it would be beautiful in the am, but the winds would be building to 28MPH with gusts of 40MPH out of the south from 12 noon on. With over $1500 invested, we decided to go for it. Our fishing grounds were 25 miles south of Long Island. We arrived around 8a and began to lay down a chum slick and drift. By 10am, we were in tight 3-5's, noon 5-7's. My guys and I were impressed with the boat, the low center of gravity kept us level and able to continue fishing. By 1p, I was reading 10' drops between waves and they were beginning to break all around us. The winds were howling and it was not great, but we continued. By 2p, we started taking a few randoms the broke over the boat, shaking the starboard window. We hooked a small mako which boosted our desire to keep going, but as the captain, I finally called it. It took a good 2.5 hours to get back as I had walls in front of me and ones following me the entire way. Ironically, the inlet was calm (thank God), but overall, we were very impressed with the boat. Wouldn't want to do it again, but I do have have enough confidence in the boat that we will make it home safe with careful piloting.
2004 28TE
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

I remember that view through the windshield:) Once we grew accustomed to
the water going over the roof and not being able to see out at times, we always
felt comfortable with the handling. Having to use the radar due to the volume of
water on the windshield can be disconcerting though...even with line cutters.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

While I can't recall all of the specifics - and I don't photograph EVERYTHING like RobS :) I can say that we were out in snotty conditions enough times that "Thank goodness we have an Albin" became a common saying!

I do recall being underway to Block Island and when we were in the trough of the waves you could see nothing but water out each side. Kathy looked at me, said "Should I be nervous?", I said "Nope.", and that was that! Rock solid boats!

Now we're in a 35 with no lower helm - not as comfortable as the 28 since I'm a lot more exposed and move around more, but still feel secure in conditions that will send a lesser boat home.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

Rob, I think my wife has pictures just like that on her camera. Yours may be a little scarier though. It amazes me how wet these Albins are. We have 5 gallon buckets in the cockpit sometimes, and they are nearly full by the time we get to the dock. I went through and replaced all of the deck hatch gaskets and the two check valves just to make sure the water goes overboard and not into the bilge.

I am definitely in the "Thank goodness we have an Albin" club. Even so, my wife gets nervous in the snotty waves. It may work in my favor though because she now thinks we should go look at a 35TE.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Those pics were actually screenshots from a video Erika took while we were crossing the LI Sound. Here's the video. You can hear Erika chuckle as we dropped into the trough. Seas weren't real big, just steep and real close together and the wind was blowing just right for the carwash effect. I think we were doing 11knots or so at that point..

https://youtu.be/ypuQyVNn-Mg
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

I was able to upload the video. This was around 11a when I was still able to hold on to my iphone. By 2p, I was asking myself "what the hell are we doing out here!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmIw0D2 ... e=youtu.be
2004 28TE
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Looks fishable to me!!!!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

That's what we were saying in the morning..."we can handle this!" I wish I videoed the last two hours, one guy was green laying in the cabin and I was begging the guy running around at the stern to give up. Slick was ruined and lines were all over. What a day.
2004 28TE
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

thats sharkin'!!!
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Post by Mike Ebert »

We were coming in from a day of fishing and had to come back through the Golden Gate. The wind kicked up and the tide turned causing standing waves with nasty wind and currents. We took one over the bow which also went over the pilot house roof. It took to of my pantographic wipers with it. My fishing buddy is saying Hail Mary's and crossing himself. Funny, I was never really concerned since we were perfectly stable. Big swells on a following sea is what scares me coming in. I love my Albin!
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Well I am impressed with all your seamanship under these conditions including the Golden Gate passage.
whwells "Howard"
36ET 2005 Sea Knoll

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”