• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Useless panel switches???

recppd
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston, MA

Useless panel switches???

Post by recppd »

Have a recently purchased 2004 Albin 28 Flush Deck and have noticed that the helm panel has a Fuel Gauge switch that goes Left - Middle - Right. Previous owner had an ON sticker on the right side of the switch, but I have no idea why??? The switch doesn't seem to do anything, similar to the Salt Water washdown switch (which the boat does not currently have) or the Air Conditioning switch on the AC panel (which the boat doesn't have). You'd think Albin would have made these "Spares" or left them blank...

BTW, if anyone knows what that Fuel Gauge switch is for, please enlighten me...

Thanks.
Rob C.
2004 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
"SEA LEVEL"
Boston, MA
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Re: Useless panel switches???

Post by dkircher »

On our 1998 28 TE engine box, the two position switch actually turns the fuel gauge on and off. Why, is a mystery. Our panel also has other switches that serve questionnable purposes. I guess that's what makes our boats "unique".
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
recppd
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by recppd »

So you have the same Fuel Gauge switch? Does it do anything for you? It does nothing for me...
Rob C.
2004 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
"SEA LEVEL"
Boston, MA
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Does it not turn your fuel gauge on or is your fuel gauge active all the time?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Mine turns on the fuel guage (bad sender so it doesn't matter) both ways. I suspect the reason it's a 3 position is because you could get the early boats with a second fuel tank. My boat came with a TON of paperwork from when the previous owners were shopping for either a 28 or 31 (I wish I coulda gotten a 31 for the price I paid...lol) and one one of the price lists they had it listed a second fuel tank. So it was prob easier for Albin to have all the switch panels made the exact same way...since they were u likely making them inhouse.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Pretty sure Jeremy nailed it. There was a smaller forward tank option (it would be under the helm) and I'd assume you could flip the gauge switch to read either tank.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

My guess is the fuel gauge switch is an easy way to have a circuit breaker in the line for safety. However it can also give you a fright like the time it was inadvertently turned off when I was way off shore. I looked down at the gauge and saw the tank was completely empty and had quite a start before noticing the position of the fuel gauge switch. :)
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n/a

Post by TimQ »

As noted by Dougsea, it's for reading fuel level in two tanks using one gauge.
The second fuel tank is located just forward of the engine in my 28.
TQ
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

When you are making a bunch of panels for the Albin line they encompass most of the variants. Mine had both on positions of the three position switch wired up so either position would power the gauge and sender.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Regarding the AC panel and the AC switch; I believe the air conditioning switch was included because the boat is FULLY wired to add the AC at some future date. Mine was and it made the addition of my AC way easier. Perhaps the same is true for the raw water wash down. Don.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

carolmarie wrote:Regarding the AC panel and the AC switch; I believe the air conditioning switch was included because the boat is FULLY wired to add the AC at some future date. Mine was and it made the addition of my AC way easier. Perhaps the same is true for the raw water wash down. Don.
.. and on my 28, I added a thru-hull with baitwell pump and a thru-hull with saltwater wash. The wiring and switches were all in place making for an easier and OEM type install .. Not useless at all!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

catalina_mike wrote:When you are making a bunch of panels for the Albin line they encompass most of the variants. Mine had both on positions of the three position switch wired up so either position would power the gauge and sender.
My fuel switch is wired the same as Mike's. Obviously a "two tank" switch wired cleverly when only one tank is installed. Don.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”