• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Solar anchor light

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Solar anchor light

Post by WillieC »

Here is what we use. Works great, I may swap out to the brighter LED. Plug it into "vacuum cleaner" outlet in our A5 dash. Plenty of cord to mount it above our mast light. Check it out.

http://theboatgalley.com/bright-led-bul ... ega-light/
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I just use a regular home depot lantern style solar light, hanging off my mast. You can see what I use currently in the picture below.
Legal? I don't know but it stays on all night and is bright enough in my opinion.
I also use another one for lighting up the flybridge when were up there after dark. Also can use it inside the boat for a nightlight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Chester B

Post by Chester B »

I don't think the solar garden lights are legal as an anchor light but they certainly help light up your boat. We had one on the bow and stern to augment the anchor light (we had an LED bulb which drew very little amperage) and those extra lights made it a lot easier to spot the boat from the dinghy at night.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I would get a small solar pack (they are fairly cheap) and rewire your anchor light to a on - off - on switch. Run the wire to the light from the center post, and then run boat power to one side and the solar pack to the other. that way you can run it off either. If you put the pack on a quick disconnect then it can be easily unplugged or replaced. And I would replace the bulb with a LED as well - as bright as possible
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

I installed approved LED bulbs in existing light. I have seen boats with a light strung up at anchorages but it seems somewhat unusual when approaching.
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

There are approved masthead anchor lights which should have been attached to your boat originally.

For one that is attached, LED bulbs are the way to go as they have less amp draw than the regular incandescent bulbs. In this configuration, there should be a switch on your power panel under the 12V options to turn it on & off (on at dusk off at sunrise)

If you don't have a masthead light, then you should have one installed.

The problem with the other alternatives mentioned is that a photovoltaic light, and needing the required USCG luminesces, the solar approach may not reach that level or if it does, may not last thru the night.

The whole idea of an anchor light is so that other boats are able to see you at anchor and it is the proscribed way of providing that notice. If anyone has ever motored at night there is nothing more disconcerting than see a dredge lit up like 'times square' as you motor toward it. They are lit under a proscribed method and boats with Home Depot lights of any type in areas which aren't proscribed are in fact a hazard to navigation.

IF and it is a big IF, you are not lit properly AND you were to cause an accident, due to that lighting, I would think there would be little you could do to obviate the inherent liability that would ensue.

There is a reason the USCG does what it does and establishes the rules that they do.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Agree with above. We just developed the habit of checking the anchor and flipping on the anchor light while bringing in the flag at sunset. But for automation, an approved light and bulb with a light sensing switch would do the trick.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler

Return to “General Discussion”