• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Chris G
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Aalborg, Denmark

Post by Chris G »

Hello All,

Just thought I'd say hello from Denmark :D

We have just bought an Albin 25 Deluxe from 1979 with the original Volvo Penta 36 hp engine.We are looking forward to restoring her, but before the fun starts we have emptied the bilges and are slowly getting rid of that old diesel smell and replacing the exhaust. There's quite a bit of work to be done before we can sail, both cosmetic and essential.

She is moored in one of the marinas in Aalborg, Denmark. Her name is Celina but we are considering changing that.....if my Irish superstition will allow it!

Anyhow, your club looks like a nice place to be and I appreciate the opportunity of being able to join in.

All the best,
Chris (Irish exile living in Denmark)
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: New member

Post by Tree »

Welcome aboard Chris. Aalborg rings a bell. Is that where that awful drink is made? My father in law used to bring it home from business trips and one of my clients used to send it over.

Besides all that, you'll find a huge amount of knowledge on the forums. It worked for me!

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Chris G
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Chris G »

Thanks Lee.

Yes and no. They make Aalborg Aquavit (snaps), which is the local firewater, but there is also a drink called 'Gammel Dansk', which tastes like cough medicine and can compare with 'Jægermeister'. I'm not sure where they distil that in DK. An aquired taste to say the least :)

Thanks again for the welcome!
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Oh it's the one for sure then as I've been unfortunate enough to have the gamaldansk forced on me!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Chuckatuck Ray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Naval Sailing Center, Norfolk, Va.

Post by Chuckatuck Ray »

Welcome aboard Chris. I trust you'll enjoy this site as much as I have. My day is not complete until I've read all of the daily post.

Best regards,

Ray
1998 Albin 28TE
Chris G
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Chris G »

Thanks for the welcome Ray.

I've already found the site to be a mine of information. It's been a great help.

All the best,
Chris
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Welcome aboard, Chris. I have a 1973 A25 with the VP MD3B engine. Yours is a '79 so it likely has the MD17C engine. My 3B is dying and I will probably be swapping it out with the spare 17C that came with the boat. When I really start that project I will start a new thread. I may bug your from time to time for pictures of your engine as there are only a few of them left, set up as yours is, on this side of the pond. Or at least they are reticent to talk to a nut like me who would put such an old engine in as a replacement. Even if i have to do an upper end rebuild, that should be cheaper than a new engine, and potentially better?
Nice Choice! GREAT BOAT! Welcome aboard!
Chris G
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Chris G »

Thanks Willie.

Our first boat was an Ørnvik 470, bought from new in 2010. A nice 16 foot boat with 50 HP Mercury outboard. Could sail 30 knots but we prefered to take it easy. It became too small for 2 adults, 2 kids and a labrador. Quite a change, going from a boat that still smelled of new fiberglass to an older boat needing a bit of work. But the Albin is so full of character. A real boat.

As for changing the engine, I spoke to a guy last week who had put a Volksvagen Golf diesel engine in his Albin 25!

You are welcome to contact me, should you need any pictures.

Good luck with the project.

All the best
Chris

Return to “New Member Introductions”