• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Shady lady overhaul questions

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Shady lady overhaul questions

Post by Jeremyvmd »

So due to circumstances beyond my control (more on that when insurance settles) my engine is out of the boat. The fuel tank is also coming out due to a hole that was discovered last week. Im taking this bad situation and tryig to make some good of it by doing a somewhat complete overhaul. First off is the new fuel tank. After some careful deliberation it will be a stock sized tank but with a few modifications to make it more "user friendly" and serviceable. Second the old peninsular which has had some significant blow by and has zero maintenence records is going back to the factory. First and foremost I needed a new turbo so that's happening, but I've decided to buy a new long block and have them transfer everything over. They will also overhaul any components that need it and clean those that don't. So I'll have a brand new motor, with a lil more power to boot (the peninsular "300hp" beast was actually only rated at 280 sae hp, new one will be a 320 sae hp motor).

Which brings me to the "while im there" items. I was replacing the remaining raw water hoses as well as all the fuel lines, I want to swap out the current rancor for either a 500 or 900 turbine filter, but then got to thinking about the dual 500 setup they offer. With the ability to shut off one filter for cleaning while continuing to run on the other. Seems like a nice in case of emergency option, just don't know if it's worth the 600 dollar premium...opinions? What else should I be doing? The shaft and prop will be checked, and the seal will be getting replaced...just didn't know what else I should consider.

On a different note we are also having a swim platform installed at the same time...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Re: Shady lady overhaul questions

Post by djpeewee »

Jeremy, I have a used Racor 900MA and some spare elements if interested. All in good working order.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

how old is it? the MA is the one with the metal shield correct? how much you looking for it? also what micron are the elements?
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Another much less expensive option to consider is installing a vacuum gauge to let you know if your filter is getting clogged. They are available specifically for the Racor and replace the T-handle in the lid.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Things that come to mind -

Service/reconfigure your bilge pumps (if you have one under the engine. Ours did)

Clean and paint entire bilge area

Inspect and possibly enhance underdeck sound proofing

Run wires/hoses for and projects - say new cockpit lighting or a feed from your raw water washdown to prime and flush your AC system, or power outlets aft. (See my "AC on a 28 post)

Oil change pump? (Love mine!)

Don't think I'd go for the duel racors. The vacuum gauge suggestion is a good one. Maybe add a priming bulb.

Lighting for the "engine room"? Put some LED strips under the deck - could be awesome when you drop that bolt or whatever! I like the 12" ones at West Marine.

Do you have an engine room blower? Good time to add one - I use ours to drop the engine room temps after a run - less of an issue for you since you can open the engine box, but...

Shaft seal upgrade/replacement

Don't know if this would work but with the engine out can you find space for a bigger holding tank? Or at least have an easier time getting on in where the 6 gallon is now?

At the end of the day - anything that can help you maintain and service the engine and other systems.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yea shaft seal is getting done as that's the reason the motor is out. It was to assess damage (long story). Good idea on the pumps I was thinking of replacing the hoses on the pumps, might as well do it now. I had already added aux pumps which is why she stayed floating! Yea I like the idea of the guage. Much cheaper way to go. As for the lights I did put some down there but your right now's the time to go whole hog on it! Didn't think of the oil change pump that's a good idea, I'll have to see if that's in the budget! I don't have a blower but I tend to open the hatch. Indid forget to mention im planning on adding a little soundproofing where I can!
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I forgot to mention - since you're replacing the fuel tank, which should help make sure you don't have any fuel issues, don't forget to replace the o-ring on your fuel deckfill cap. THAT is the path that water will take to end up in your fuel!

(Good idea to replace the one on your water tank fill as well!)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I actually recently replaced both of them and the one on the waste tank cuz they looked sketchy. Im also replacing every fuel line she has
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

Jeremy, sorry for the delay. Been out of town. The Racor I have is the 900MA - the one with the metal bowl underneath. I have 2 new 10 mic filters also. Looking for $175 for the lot. Not sure of the age as I have only had the boat for 18 months. It is in perfect working order though.

I removed it because it was impossible to service where it was mounted. I couldn't get under it. I replaced it with a triple stage system with vacuum gauge I designed to supply my generator and main. It has a couple of 3 way valves so the generator fuel pump can prime the entire system without having to use the little hand pump on the booster when changing filters, etc.

Also, you mention replacing the fuel lines. As part of my fuel system project, I upgraded the fuel hose to 1/2". It was real easy to run the new line, but impossible to remove some of the old. You have the fuel tank out so it should all be a piece of cake.

Good luck!
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I ended up geting one from from defender but thank you for the offer. Gonna mount it behind the tank rather than in the stock location....

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”