• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Help troubleshooting please,engine temp

Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bridgeport CT (Miamogue)

Help troubleshooting please,engine temp

Post by Neil »

Hi All,
We have the 28 TE 1997. Yesterday was our maiden voyage! We had an alarm sound whenever the engine temp came close to 200. I was keeping it under 18knots, about 2700 rpm. So I dropped it to 16 knots about 2500 rpm and no more alarm, engine temp was at 175. Is that an unsafe temp? 200? Seems low to me. Or is it an alarm problem? We just put in a new thermostat.
Second problem, thank you for your patience.
We were only showing 11.6 volts while steaming home. Newish battery,newish alternator. After being plugged in dockside the dash read 12.5 and the charger was saying the batteries were charged. Shouldn't I be at 14-15 v when I'm running? Sorry about the newbie questions, and thanks for any help!
Neil
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Re: Help troubleshooting please,engine temp

Post by special k »

i just did a rydlyme flush on my raw water side and dropped running temp by nearly 10*. sounds like your coolers need attention.

cruising speed temp now around 175-180 for me

2002 28te 6lp yanmar
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Did you get all the air out of the cooling system after you put in the thermostat?
The ridlyme (or equivalent) is a good thing to do. Also check to make sure the lid on the raw water strainer is sealed. Use grease on the threads and/or o ring.
Regarding voltage, yes it should be up around 14 when cruising.
Does your engine have an air intake heater? If so they take a lot of juice and will draw the voltage down.
They are supposed to cut out once the engine warms up a bit. But sometimes they stay on you'll have to check that.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

I took my Alternator to a auto electrical shop and had it rebuilt. My voltage regulator got blown somehow and I didn't have a volt meter in my old dash so I never knew. Charges great for now.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

When discussing rpm's and operating temperature it would be helpful to know what engine..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Neil »

It's a peninsular 6.5, 310 hp.
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Neil »

We did just flush out the cooler and put new gaskets on it. Newly rebuilt fuel injector pump, alternator is just over a year old, one batterie is just over a year old. Thanks for the tips, I guess we are bringing the mechanic back.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yea something sounds very wrong with that setup. I would bring the mechanic out...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
doughat
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Guatemala

Post by doughat »

Might one simple common cause for both problems be a loose belt(s)? Was this already checked?
Doug
Sonrisa
1993 28TE
Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Tom Alby
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westbrook Ct PPM North

Post by Tom Alby »

Do you have enough discharge from the exhaust,check or change the impeller on the pump
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Neil »

Thanks guys,
Yes the belts are perfect. We found the charging problem, a batterie post connection arcked out. Must have been loose. Previous owner just did the pump impeller. My next thought was to go ahead and replace the pump, keep the old as a spare. We have been running her a lot. Keeping the RPMS below 2700 and she stays at 175 degrees no problem. We aren't in a rush to get anywhere, but I'd like to figure out why she is running hot.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

is your sender and/or temp gauge accurate? Mine was 50 F off in a much "repaired" A25.
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Neil »

50 degrees!!!!????!!!!
How does one go about testing the sender? The thermostat is new.
Thank you in advance!
Neil
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

See my post in A25/27.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9324

Basically I pulled the sensor, heated it up in a pan of water with a fairly reliable pocket temp gauge and recorded resistance readings. Fortunately, I had another sensor that I was able to compare it to. My first clue that something was amiss was that the installed sensor didn't change resistance until I was at 150F. I also had a small selection of resistors that I used to test the accuracy of my gauge. The spare sender resistance readings made my gauge report quite accurately. Unfortunately, it had the wrong threads. For now I am simply adding 50F to my reading, i.e. I don't want to see much over 130F on my gauge.
I can dig up my resistance readings if that would help. Most manufacturer's will say to use their proprietary senders, but I am skeptical and my boat (and potentially dying engine) is 43 years old. I'm not looking for any warrantee, just want to know where I am.
The fact that your gauge is showing higher temp at greater load is a good sign. Pay attention to that. Some folks have had success with infrared heat sensing guns. The trick is to certify what is true and dependable so you can make informed decisions, like a lot of life.
Happy to help if I can. Rick (WillieC)
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Neil »

Holy Moley Rick!
You are obviously far more intelligent than me!
Thank you for the process, that's a big help. Good luck with your boat, I hope you get another 40!
Neil

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”