• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Need some Help or at least an Opinion

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: NY,NY

Need some Help or at least an Opinion

Post by Old School »

Our 28TE is getting a little small for us and we are looking to move up to a 31TE.
Are all brokers Totally unprofessional?
I have a broker I use in my boat yard, she's great, and she will handle any boat I buy. I just want her in on the deal.
Brokers don't want to co-op commissions? They don't return her calls.

It get's worst... I make calls on boats listed on Yacht World and brokers don't return my calls.

Is this indicative of the industry?

I feel sorry for the customer trying to sell his boat...Lousy service for the 10% they get.

Now does any one know how to trace state registration numbers? I found a boat advertised in Seaford, NY and after
three attempts to contact the broker I've got no response. I'd just like to let the owner know about the great service he's getting.

Rant Over!
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Need some Help or at least an Opinion

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I had a similar experience. There are good and bad brokers. Dad missed out on a boat because broker wouldn't return calls. Three months later boat sold without a call back. If im interested i hound the brokers till they call. Many brokers don't want to share...why make 3-5% when they can make 7-10%? had that problem on a 32-2 we looked at in fl for my dad...they didn't want to share so wouldn't talk till my dad called direct...we ended up finding major structural damage that they didn't know about so we walked away...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

if you are seriously looking for a 31 get in touch with me,, no brokers would be involved
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Old School »

zinbaad wrote:if you are seriously looking for a 31 get in touch with me,, no brokers would be involved
Email sent
TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n/a

Post by TimQ »

people have asked for and received referrals to a good broker before at this site and you can probably trust the responses.
Unfortunately the industry has many unprofessional, unethical and dishonest brokers. You owe it to yourself to vet who you work with, but sometimes when the brokerwith the listing is bad there's little you can do other than caveat emptor.
TQ
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

"caveat emptor"

Amen to that!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

My experience has been through 2 purchases through brokers that one must NEVER believe ANYTHING the listing broker says about the boat, only accept what you can verify and check out everything they tell you. If they do not return calls (hard to understand why the don't) but that does happen. Its usually not hard to find out who there boss is and call them. If it sounds like I am a little jaded I am. Surveyors are another problem, on both our purchases they missed major stuff. The one who did our 36 was really bad. I should have taken legal action.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Old School wrote:Our 28TE is getting a little small for us and we are looking to move up to a 31TE.
Are all brokers Totally unprofessional?
I have a broker I use in my boat yard, she's great, and she will handle any boat I buy. I just want her in on the deal.
Brokers don't want to co-op commissions? They don't return her calls.

It get's worst... I make calls on boats listed on Yacht World and brokers don't return my calls.

Is this indicative of the industry?

I feel sorry for the customer trying to sell his boat...Lousy service for the 10% they get!
This mirrors my experience over the past 30 days - I've driven about 4,000 miles to look at 4 boats which turned out to be nothing like they were represented to be. You're lucky that the brokers aren't answering the phone - I had one hang up on me!

An evidently fairly common practice I found in two of the four is . . . . "Gee, Mr Broker, I don't have any good pictures of my boat . . . . why don't we just use the pictures from the listing when I bought it 3 years ago?"

I look a boat over and the broker agrees with me that it's never going to be sold unless the owner agrees to reduce his price by $15K, which he's not willing to do - Gee, it would be REALLY nice to know that before you drive 1,000 miles to look this turkey with the 3 year old photos!!

My solution? No more brokers, period! I'll find my next boat listed by the OWNER and I'll deal directly with the OWNER and no one else!

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
got2dive
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: none

Post by got2dive »

I looked at that boat in seaford before i bought my 31te in florida that was 3 years ago he has dropped his price 30000 in 3 years nice boat but when i went to look at it with broker it took him a half hour to find house the boat is at i live 10 minutes from that boat let me know if u have any questions
Old School
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Old School »

got2dive wrote:I looked at that boat in seaford before i bought my 31te in florida that was 3 years ago he has dropped his price 30000 in 3 years nice boat but when i went to look at it with broker it took him a half hour to find house the boat is at i live 10 minutes from that boat let me know if u have any questions

That boat has been for sale for three years?
I'd love to contact the owner directly but have been unable to trace the NY registration numbers.
Three of the photos are "stock" photos and don't even match the boat.
How did the boat look overall?
I'd appreciate any info.

OS
Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Harbor Marina, Waretown, NJ

Post by Dr Luke »

I'm the dad Jeremy commented on. There was another boat we looked at not in Florida where the broker said he couldn't reach owner for almost a week. So I called the previous listing broker for that boat and he reached owner and set up appointment in 15 minutes. Then, continued giving advice and help even though no commission was coming his way. Also refused any fee for service I ifferred him to boot.
I would be glad to share name if you need a broker if you contact me directly.
Paul

2000 32+2: Poco Loco
1992 Boston Whaler 23 Walkaround: UnLeashed
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Curious, if one could find a vessel on their own why deal with a broker?
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com

Return to “General Discussion”