• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Larger fuel tank

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Larger fuel tank

Post by Jeremyvmd »

So the motor has recently been hauled out of shady lady (more on that after I deal with the insurance company) and as the marina guys were working on the hull they noted that the fuel tank was leaking, so after just having resealed the deck right before Father's Day, I need to pull it back apart so the tank can come out. Has anyone tried to have the tank made slightly oversized prior to going back in? I was thinking I may have room for a slightly wider tank and if that's the case a few more gallons of capacity would be nice!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: Larger fuel tank

Post by Mark Deeser »

My comment will not be the best, not familiar with your set up. If I were faced with same situation I would try to figure out what my potential fuel gain would be, then it becomes a cost benefit analysis. Possible a separate day tank or fuel blatter if you have room, could be more cost effective. Thanks, Mark.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I've thought about stand alone fuel bladders ad was planning on going that route till I found out that my tank was bad. Im more curious about clearence for installing it without cutting the deck! Not much if any room for a day tank without loosing storage compartments but i was thinking a thin strip full beam would give a few gallons of extra space.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Is it for convenience that you would like to carry the xtra fuel or do you "need" the range? I always felt that my 28 was a little "squatty" as it was and would purposely not run full unless I needed to..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Could use the extra range for jersey tuna fishing...I am worried about her running stern deep...
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Gotcha. If she were a flush deck I'd say go for it for sure....... also consider that when you would need that extra fuel you'd also be loaded up with all that offshore gear, ice and a few fat arses...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

How many miles out do you have to go? I was able to go out 70 miles to the gulf stream from Norfolk troll all day and return with the standard fuel tank in my 97 Albin 28 with the 250 hp Cummins. My present flush deck has a plastic fuel tank and if you could fit one of those in with larger capacity it would be the way to go. The plastic tank will not corrode and it has curved corners so it will not trap as much gunk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I think part of my problem is a worn motor, that is being rectified with a new peninsular that will be going in. But im looking at 70-90 miles out. With my current fuel burn it's a little scary. That does bring up another question that I will ask seperately and that is plastic vs aluminum....

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”