• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

TE 31 DC Power

kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

TE 31 DC Power

Post by kowal_53 »

I have had a strange failure of DC power recently. The first time all of my main ship DC went off. Then about a few minutes later it came back. This weekend I was pumping the water tank for winterization, and it went out again. I came back a bit later it was on again. So I was able to pump the tank dry. The TE 31 has a ship/generator/engine battery selector. The engine part did stay on when the main ship was out.

So it seems that could be the main DC breaker, or the power selector, unless there is some other breaker in the system. I plan to take my meter down so when it happens a gain I can try to narrow it down a bit. (The breaker did not indicate that it had tripped)
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: TE 31 DC Power

Post by catalina_mike »

I have ordered a new battery selector switch as I was having intermittent issues. Upon inspection the main terminal shows signs of a weak connection. (discoloration)
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Steam Flyer
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Eastern NC

Post by Steam Flyer »

Are the batteries connected using the stud-to-post connectors? Our 2000 model 31TE has about 4 cables connected to each battery post using these, and in the process of replacing batteries the threaded stud came apart. They had probably overheated due to poor connection.

Doug K 'Sugar Magnolia'
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by kowal_53 »

I finally tracked this down. Apparently in the 31 all of the grounds from the batteries come to a single ground bar. Then a single cable goes from there to a secondary ground bar above it. The screw on the cable between the two was loose. I am going to change that so I have a better connection, because the screw was way to small, subject to motion so it backed out a bit.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”