• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Production history of the Albin 28TE?

bpevans
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Production history of the Albin 28TE?

Post by bpevans »

I've been looking to purchase an Albin 28TE for a while, It seems there are a lot of 2000-2005 models on the secondary market, a few 2007s but I've not seen anything later than 2007 on the secondary market.

I know ownership and the build changed slightly in 2006/7. Does anyone have production history for these boats? Are folks just holding onto 2009 to 2013 Albin 28TEs or were few made then?

Thanks.
Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Re: Production history of the Albin 28TE?

Post by Pasteur »

There are folks on this board that can give you more detail. And you may want to search the threads a bit for more information. It's around here.

Albin closed its doors in Rhode Island in 2007-8. The molds were acquired by another company and some more were built but not many. If memory serves me some were assembled in North Carolina. Another member will probably correct me on that point.

As late as 2013? Standish Boat Yard in Tiverton had a new one for sale. I think they did some of the finish work on that boat. Back in the day they were a dealer for the boats and still employ a fellow who worked in the factory. But after that one sold I haven't seen any new ones around.

The boats evolved over their production history. One boat would get a new feature, i.e. transom door, and that would become an option for future models. In the beginning only the engine box model was available but my impression is that the flush deck became more popular after it was introduced. There's a thread describing the advantages/disadvantages of each model.

In the last several years of production they introduced a "Newport Edition" featuring a wrap around ell shaped settee with an extended roof to cover the passengers. That version had striped cushions on the transom bench. The transom bench on that model was more substantial than earlier models.

We owned a 28' for several seasons and loved that yacht very much. No matter which year you settle on do your diligence in the form of a thorough inspection. And then join the family of owners. You won't be disappointed.
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”