• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28 - Advice needed

Iso0725
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: SG

Albin 28 - Advice needed

Post by Iso0725 »

Hi Gents,

Was looking for a used Albin 28, found one but initial inspection shows 3 worrying signs. Appreciate your expert opinions:

1) Deep cut on the propeller housing - can see the wood core. Expensive repair?
image.jpeg
2) rudder has extensive corrosion. Guess must replace all - Gonna cost a bomb?
image.jpeg
3) stern as well - what could have caused this the stains? Signifies wet bilge?
image.jpeg
Should I just walk away?

Thank you for your expert advice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Albin 28 - Advice needed

Post by Jeremyvmd »

The damage on the stern looks like damage from a lack of bonding. The metal rusts badly and damages the surrounding bottom paint and fiberglass. The damage in the skeg can be expensive if the core is bad but should be fixable. If your handy and go slow you could prob fix it yourself. Rudder just needs to be cleaned up and freshened. I wouldn't try to R and r it...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

One of the newer albins from the photos. 2003 or newer?? A flush deck from the looks of the small rudder.
My opinion the items and photos are all very minor items. The skeg scratch possibly the most TLC but still easy for the yard to fix. The Skeg's are solid fiberglass in my experience (skeg = no wood core) and therefore less effected by water intrusion if any but a moisture meter will detect any seepage. the corrosion is because either the large transom zinc was not renewed frequently enough, which happens when people don't use there boat much or a green bonding wire which runs between that zinc and top of the rudder post & another green wire between drain plug that aft zinc is broken? And easy fix.
A survey will revel the boats needs. every boat, even brand new boats require work.
Keep the questions coming. you'll love a Albin
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Is it possible that the red color is old bottom paint ?
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Just sand/wire brush rudder, fill crack in the keg, and clean rusty metal drain.
My advice is to stop using copper-based anti-fouling bottom paint. With all the metals, eletolysis is preventing the copper availability.
Coat metals with Pettit primer for metals and switch to Pettit Hyfrocoat Eco. Water-based, no copper, easy to use and clean up..AND IT WORKS FANTASTIC.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Iso0725
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: SG

Post by Iso0725 »

Thanks Gents. Much appreciated.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”