• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

flush deck steering

sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

flush deck steering

Post by sweetwater »

Just as an FYI for anyone with a flush deck: I have been amazed at the poor low speed handling of my 05 for 5 seasons. Ive made due, but it basically sucked around the docks. Well, the other day I threw a protractor on the steering arm, and I was only getting 22 degrees (44 total) of rudder response. I took the piston off the arm, re-drilled the arm in the right place, and now have 40 degrees both ways. The difference is night and day. Worth a look if your boat seems like an 18 wheeler in a 7-11 parking lot.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: flush deck steering

Post by RobS »

Hello Mike,

Thanks for posting the info.

I doubt you went out yesterday to sea trial it! Ran down to Sailor's Haven in an annoyingly sloppy GSB. Pulled in and pulled back out, it was like a washing machine in the marina! It's been soooooo windy lately.. In the few minutes Matt was there ahead of me he said his boat was full of sand blowing in off the beach. He left too.

I hate when I don't want to accept the fact that mother nature makes the schedule.......not us :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I should check mine I also need to get a new autopilot so I can have a rudder position...that would help. Do you have any pics of the original and new placement of the ram?

Rob - that looks almost as bad as the day I went out with my wife in the barnegate bay and found all the leaks - blowing 30 sustained with 2-3 ft chop in the bay was fun...but helpful cuz it lets me know what she does in bad weather! Did that with the cat right before the last hurricane up here - 40-60mph winds and 3+ foot square chop in a 19ft center console SUCKED...lol
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Amazing what a little investigation will find. My PO complained to us, the potential new owners, about lack of response to one side. He chalked it up to prop effect, and planetary alignment, and the cost of tea. We, green as gourds, just accepted it as life in an A25. I also found out later he had posted to various owner groups his steering conundrum.
We bought it, thought nothing of it, avoided close quarter maneuvering like the plague, being green and all. One day with the boat sitting on the trailer in the yard, my son noticed that the rudder seemed skewed heavily to one side. So we ran it back and forth, lock to lock. Oh yeah, it was skewed to one side all right. A very simple adjustment re-centered the rudder and life is good. Now it might be preferable to slightly skew it, but for me I will start with centering. I had the advantage of the trailer, but you might think to take a look at your rudder, or have the diver who replaces your zincs take a look, or go swimming on a hot August night. Simple stuff. Glad you got yours fixed. Rick (WillieC).
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sweetwater »

I will try to snap some pics. Maybe not so wisely, we did sit at sailors for a couple hours around 3 ish. Kinda angry on the bay for sure!
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

I didn't know I wanted to take a protractor to the boat!
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Before making any high speed manuvers with your adjustment, please read the entire post in the link below. Sure don't want anyone to get any unwanted surprises with the bow possibly dipping in a sharp turn.

"I've just talked to H&H Propeller, who supplied skegs and rudders to Albin. They told me that a higher rudder angle could cause the boat to capsize in a sharp turn at high speed. In fact, when the flush deck first came out, they had the rudder at a 45 degree angle. The guy I talked to was aboard during a sea trial....they turned the boat, and the bow went under water. A real thrill a minute! After that, Albin went to a small rudder and put in stops. He also told me that a 45-deg angle could cause the rudder post to break when in reverse and then of course the prop would fall out. Uh, no thanks!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5580&hilit=rudder
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Sweetwater,

Definitely check out my thread referenced by Carl. We're very happy with the modification we made to the tiller arm.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sweetwater »

I did read through that post, and I poked around and asked a prop shop what they suggested prior to drilling. It seems 40 degrees is the max recommended for the rudder. I stayed at that number. I went out and turned hard over in both directions at speed with no issues. I then backed up fairly "enthusiastically", all good so far.
sailingzeus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Augustine, Fl

Post by sailingzeus »

I have the same problem with my 05. Pictures would be be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

sailingzeus wrote:I have the same problem with my 05. Pictures would be be greatly appreciated.
See the thread referenced in Carl's post above.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
sailingzeus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Augustine, Fl

Post by sailingzeus »

Thanks for the warning, however, I don't oversteer my car wheel and definately not going to do it with my boat...

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”