• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

high coolant temperature Cummins

chesapeake albin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: chesapeake

high coolant temperature Cummins

Post by chesapeake albin »

My 330 Cummins in a 28 TE has always worked at 188 degrees after warmed up. Then all of a sudden now its 192-193.
I feel like its time to go over the raw water pump. I have 1000 hours on the pump now, Impeller has maybe 200 hours.

Is this too high of a temperature? What are other running at?
What is the general life of the raw water pumps?
Should I rebuild the pump or get a new pump at this point?
Is removing the pump on this boat the hardest thing in the world??? I read I have to jack the engine and remove an engine mount first? Any advice?

Thanks
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: high coolant temperature Cummins

Post by Russell »

My guess is that something else is more likely than the raw water pump. They usually start leaking before they have to be rebuilt or replaced. The thermostat would be the first thing to check. If you run at wide open throttle does the temperature continue to rise? If so, the heat exchangers may need cleaning.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Sounds like it's ready for a rydelime treatment.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Chuckatuck Ray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Naval Sailing Center, Norfolk, Va.

Post by Chuckatuck Ray »

I have a Cummins 6bta5.9m3, 330hp engine in my Albin 28TE. Prior to haul-out this past week, I too was experiencing run temp of 190 degrees F, max rpm of 2600 and top speed 18kts. At haul-out I found that the hull was very clean. The only thing needing attention was the prop. Scraped the prop clean, repainted the bottom and put her back in the water. Engine ran great. Wot @ 2800 RPM 26kts, cruise at 2600 RPM 24kts and 23kts @ 2400 RPM. Temp range was 180 to 189,.

Years ago a Cummins mechanic told me that the high engine temp alarm sounds when temp reaches 200. At that point, you should throttle down to reduce temp. Engine temp should never exceed 203 degrees F.

Best regards,
Ray
1998Albin 28TE
Robb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tacoma, WA

Post by Robb »

If you still are running the original Sherwood pump this could be an issue, the Seaboard pumps are the recommended replacement. Read some of the articles on the Seaboard Marine website. I did mine and it was very tight and challenging, but did not have to jack the motor.

That being said, as long as the pump is good, I agree with the others, is look elsewhere like the cooling system and boat bottom.
Robb Stilnovich
"Stella Maris" 1996 28TE #279
Cummins 6BTA-370
Tacoma, WA

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”