• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Catalina

catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Catalina

Post by catalina_mike »

Dive Inn in Avalon.. Went diving with rebreathers and had a good time. New panel worked great but pointed out the alternator has a fried voltage regulator. The original Yanmar panel did not have a voltage reading but the new gauges do. So after a little troubleshooting the alternator is toast.. Great trip heading to Dana Point in the AM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Catalina

Post by RobS »

Looks like a lovely spot. Was that the dive location in the photo?

Regarding the voltage display: Do you mean that up until the new dash you weren't displaying voltage at all? Not even on an MFD?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

We went to Hen Rock and dove the inner reef and went out to the outer reef on day one. Day two we rigged the chains with floats for the Sea Trek float at Discanso Beach then we swam over the the Valiant Wreck for kicks.. Work then play.

My Albin did not have a volt meter before that displayed and the display we have is a Furno Navnet 2 no high teck multifunction. The new gauges I did have a volt meter in the 4 in 1 gauge.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Yeah when I was running NN VX2 I had voltage displayed on my sounder.

The diving sounds awesome. I miss it. I did it a lot for a while. Mated on a six pack for several years, all wreck diving. Stepped back as my 2 daughters got older and we got into cruising as a family. Still dabble with it, mostly checking under the boat stuff and some shore diving. Never dove closed circuit, always open... LP steel doubles or single with a sling bottle. Not that I had anything against closed circuit, I just had a lot of gear that I was happy with.. Actually when I was tapering off with my diving side mount was starting up, did that ever take off?

Here's a cool video from Grand Cayman a few years back...I think he liked me!
https://youtu.be/S0lF_NTU7dE
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Side mount is gaining traction and is very comfortable. It was originally designed for cave penetrations that you used to have to remove your gear and pass it through separately. The down side or under estimated side is when you are rigging stages.. So now you have 4 cylinders under your arms. Gets a bit cumbersome. I think it has value in the right situation but it is trendy.

Closed circuit is great but you can't be assuming things or you will die real fast.If you don't think logically about things or want to do longer dives it probably shouldn't be thought about. I am a rebreather instructor for the Inspiration and Evolution. For reference our swim after setting the chains and floats for the Sea Trek float was about 100 yards and went to 76 feet. I barely used any gas.. I teach for Scuba Luv on the island when time allows so if you ever want to go diving in So Cal just PM me and we can coordinate. My wife puts up with my obsession as I have been diving longer then we have been married and I had full disclosure..
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”