• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

air conditioning a 31TE

Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Northport

air conditioning a 31TE

Post by Jforesta »

I have just purchased a 96 31TE with a single Cat 3126. I am thinking about installing air conditionion.
I would like to hear from other 31 owners about where their units are located and how the ducting is run.
If I go forward I would like to a/c the cabin and wheel house.
Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Re: air conditioning a 31TE

Post by amber jj »

I just replaced the air conditioner in our 2000 31 with a webasto 16000.All duct work and wiring was already there from the previous 16K marine air which the salt air and moisture had rotted the compressor and condensing coil away.Duct work ran from starboard bench in forward cabin,behind locker into the head where there is a vent in the shower and then on to the helm where there is a a vent in front of the shift levers.The main vent is just ahead of the locker in front cabin.One vent does not cut it in the pilot house.There is just too much glass.I really think you would need a separate unit for the pilot house alone.As far as below the 16k works fine.The unit itself sits under the forward bench in the v-birth,cold air return in front of compressor,thermostat over hanging locker,and the raw water circulating pump below the hatch at the helm station.Hope this helps.Bob
Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jforesta »

Thanks Bob,
has anyone treated the wheelhouse as the primary cooling area being you would need more btu cooling in the day than the cabin when sleeping at night.

Like to hear from others who may have the unit located other than the vee birth.
Those who have a single engine may have other options
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Joe -

Below is a thread from 2 years ago on the Air Conditioning on the 31 TE that I had posted some ducting pictures to. I have a 16,000 BTU in the bow compartment vented into the cabin and up to the pilot house. At some point I'll tap into the duct work and add a vent in the head as well.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8250&p=50436&hilit=air#p50436

Rich / (addon323) just added Air Conditioning to his single 31 TE this spring. It's a 16,000 BTU in the bow. He placed the controller aft of the galley cabinetry / microwave in the forward face of the three port side cabinets above the rear berth. I think that this location makes sense and is easily accessible. Rich also added a vent in the head. Maybe he can add some pictures of the install.

Hope that life aboard your 31 is treating you well and that you're enjoying the transition. Good to have you aboard to add to the sharing of info and ideas on the 31TE.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jforesta »

Thanks Kevin,
Really enjoying the 31.
These photos will help tremendously.
Kevin, did you install only one vent in the wheelhouse?
I am planing on installing a 16,000 btu unit, wondering if it makes sense to concentrate on the wheelhouse with second thoughts to the cabin below.
Do you think adding another vent in the wheelhouse would help?
If you were to do it over, would you do anything different?
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I have just the one 4 inch circular vent in the pilot house. On the hottest of days when the boat has been shut up and I try to cool from scratch it's a struggle to cool things down. Other than that it works in New England. The cabin down below can quickly become an ice box with the adjustable louvered vent in the cabinet in front of the hanging locker.

The only changes or additions that I would make would be to move the Albin installed controller from the forward facing portion of the cabinet of the galley cabinetry to where AmberJJ suggested or preferably to where Rich placed his which is easily accessible (I saw his install last week and will get you some pictures). At some point I'll also add a a small circular 4 inch vent in the head which will be nice to have after showering.

For me below in the cabin is more important than the pilot house for hvac control. When it gets hot and muggy I'll leave the system running when away from the boat and plugged in at the dock. This helps keep food, clothing, cushions and everything in the cabin controlled from humidity. We also spend a lot of nights on board and down below comfort is more important to me when having dinner and when sleeping. Tweaking topside can be done by adjusting the vents, keeping the companionway door closed to below and inserting one of the top panels and leaving one open. Adding a second unit starboard side in the engine room is always possibility, but not something on my list. I'll get some pictures of my Marine Air unit, vents and controller location.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

And don't forget the option of reflective sunshades in the wheelhouse windows. They REALLY work.

Hey Joe, didn't you already have a perfectly good Albin with air conditioning and a fresh water flush head? :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jforesta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jforesta »

Well project complete. Used a 16,000btu Webasto unit. PITA drilling all the holes to run the ducting through the bulkheads, cabinets and shelves.
Really came in handy on our Greenport/BI cruise.
Glad it is done!!!!
SeaQuel
1997 31TE
3126 Cat
Formally
Abbastanza
2000 Albin 28 TE
Joe F
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Jforesta wrote:Well project complete. Used a 16,000btu Webasto unit. PITA drilling all the holes to run the ducting through the bulkheads, cabinets and shelves.
Really came in handy on our Greenport/BI cruise.
Glad it is done!!!!
Consider doing a write up, with some photos, for the next guy!

Glad to hear it worked out well.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”