• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Forward Bilge Pump

mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saugatuck, Mi

Forward Bilge Pump

Post by mjohnh »

I have about 6 inches of water in the forward bilge. I removed the hatch and used the toggle switch on the dash and could watch the water in the bilge decrease, but came back when I turned the toggle "off"......I expect the water to move to the aft pump area when underway....but, does anyone have any suggestion regarding the forward bilge pump....1. is it normal and of no concern; 2. is it likely a vacuum lock in the discharge; 3 a blocked port..........it just seems that the pump is trying to get it out, but it can't quite get it done.....

Thanks for you help.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Forward Bilge Pump

Post by Jeremyvmd »

What is likely happening is that your pump is filling the line and doesn't have the umph to get the water all the way out. When you then shut it off it all flows back into the bilge. You need some sort of anti return, I use the rule low profile and they come with an anti return valve that works well to prevent that. I would also check to see how long your discharge hose it, if it looks like you have excess then cut it shorter. It "should" have an anti siphon loop but in that area I didn't have the space for one so I went with a duckbill valve
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

The anti siphon valve is up on the side of the hull - the pump has got the guts to do the job but you are essentially pumping 2 meters of air before it reaches the valve and that is whats holding that head of water until you turn the pump off.

Many of us have fitted second pumps and spliced them into the shower sump to remove that last 6 inches of water that accumulates right up in the bow section. I've fitted the pump and installed a foot switch under the carpet purely because i was getting sick of the smell of week old sea water in the bilge. :mrgreen:
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

IMO those tricuspid check valves should only be used to if needed to prevent the bilge pump from cycling from back flow. The center wet bilge area on the 28 is large enough that the back flow does not cause the pump to cycle so I would remove it. I'd rather have a tad extra water and not cut down on the performance of the pump which the check valve does.. And yes the second fwd smaller pump down in the deepest part of the "v" is key. Many posts here, just search for them.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

My biggest concern and why I put the valve in, is because on the side of the hull where they put my through hull I didnt have the space to put in a anti siphon loop. As that water comes back im worried about it causing an issue. It would be a million in one shot and I realise it decreases performance but I had a 500 from the factory in there, stepped up to a 900. Figure I have to have at least the performance of the factory 500... This is only for the pump in the bow. The rest of them I have space for the loops, just need time to install them.
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saugatuck, Mi

Post by mjohnh »

Thanks to you all........By the way, on the odor issue, I used a cup of Tide in the bilge (saw it recommended in another post when I did a search on this issue).....did an excellent job...and it is biodegradable.........

I took the boat out, today. Ran it at various speeds mostly over 13 kts......as rapid as 3000 rpm......I ran the forward bilge pump for 20 seconds, or so.....then, I ran the aft bilge pump.....repeated the process.........most of the water was gone at the end of the run.....I had read on another post while doing a search on this issue, that the water in the front while under way and at plane, will run to the back and then gets pumped out by the aft bilge pump....worked for me.....
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Jeremyvmd wrote:... because on the side of the hull where they put my through hull I didnt have the space to put in a anti siphon loop...
Whereabouts did they put it? You should have enough room to do a discharge with a thru-hull under the head sink with more than ample room for a vented loop. That's where I installed for my A/C. I forgot about this container of "ass" wipes...they were glass wipes until one of my crew members got creative with the duct tape. :roll:

The 28 would likely sink bow down at the slip before that center pump would even join in. Need to concentrate all bilge pump power up front. Center pump is useless. The rear one is good for de-watering when on plane, especially if something goes wrong and you are taking on some water on the run, like a seawater side engine leak..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I'll try and get a pic next time im on the boat, they set it up very poorly on my boat. Bad enough that I've been considering getting the current hole glassed in and moving it back. But the duck bill helps for now. How big was your pump up front?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

2000GPH, you can just see the "2" in between the hoses. The little guy in the "v" was a 500.

I would not bother to glass it in, just replace it with a high quality stainless thru-hull and cap it off on the inside..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

FoggDogg
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth NH

Post by FoggDogg »

I had the exact problem. Check your hoses leading out of the boat. I would drain the forward bilge, feel good, get underway again, and when I got back - the bilge was full again. Caulk the drains... have a nice day.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”