• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

engine/exhaust/maintenance 1997 Albin 28 Cummins 6bta 5.9 m

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jokerhigh
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Annapolis md

engine/exhaust/maintenance 1997 Albin 28 Cummins 6bta 5.9 m

Post by Jokerhigh »

hello everyone
I been reading this thread trying to find things to look for when dealing with the Cummins engine.everything I read up to this point has been great. I'm currently in the process of purchasing a 1997 Albin 28 with a 6bta 5.9 m3 Cummins 315 with 1600 hours. should I be worried about this exhaust issue? does any body know if it was a design issue just for a couple of years? it looks like the 2000 model exhaust system was modified. Is this something i should bring up in the survey?

Does anyone have a recommended maintenance schedule for the Cummins engine , I'm curious if there are any major things that need to be done at 1,000/2,000 hours thats recommended that i should be aware.

any information that will help me in this process will be greatly appreciated

Best Regards
Eric
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: engine/exhaust/maintenance 1997 Albin 28 Cummins 6bta 5

Post by RobS »

Not much on the Cummins 6B is "engine hour" dependent.... off hand valve adjustments and seawater pump impeller come to mind, all else is age or especially "marine age" related. If you have not already, you need to join boatdiesel and read and read and then read some more. And go to Tony Athens website, sbmar.com, and read his articles, tips, etc.

As far as the exhaust issue I know of some Cummins powered 28's that have an issue and other Cummins powered 28's that do not have an issue. What components or design sets them apart?....I have no idea...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jokerhigh
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Annapolis md

Re: engine/exhaust/maintenance 1997 Albin 28 Cummins 6bta 5

Post by Jokerhigh »

Thanks again I Appreciate your suggestion I'll join tonight a read, read and read more. My plan is to make an offer contingent on a marine and mechanical servey. I'll post pictures once I get up to see the boat.
Regards
Eric

Return to “Albin Maintenance”