• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel Gauge/Sender Problem

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

whiteyvt
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Burlington, VT

Fuel Gauge/Sender Problem

Post by whiteyvt »

I have a 2001 28 engine box model with a Centroid 3-wire sender (original I assume). When I flip the fuel gauge switch on the needle it bounces up to half and then back to empty regardless of how much fuel is in the tank. I've exposed the sender and cleaned to contacts but no change.

Gauge vs sender problem? Time for a new sender? Should I use a different type? Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help!
David White
"WWHIM", Lake Champlain, Burlington VT
2001 Albin 28 (engine box model)
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Fuel Gauge/Sender Problem

Post by RobS »

The fuel gauge is a standard "Teleflex type" gauge - Empty 240 Ohms to Full 33 Ohms. Do you have an ohm meter to test your sending unit? The ohm meter POS goes to the sender terminal and the NEG to a good ground. Depending on your full level you should be in the range I referenced above. To further the test top off the tank and you should get a reading of ~33 Ohms. I've posted more than once on this subject, have you used the "Search" function ?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
whiteyvt
Mate
Mate

Post by whiteyvt »

Thanks Rob - I have seen some of your other posts which have gotten me as far as I have. Have you had good luck with your replacement?
David White
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Replacement Centroid sender or replacement boat? Yes x2
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

My new gauge is as inaccurate as the old!
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
whiteyvt
Mate
Mate

Post by whiteyvt »

So Mike - if i'm going to go through the effort, should I replace it with something else? If so what?
David White
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Tried to respond yesterday using my phone and epic fail after three times waited until I got home..

I would get the best level sensor you can after measuring your tank. I get over 1.5 NM per gal so I use that for forecasting range. My gps has a trip meter I reset and log my time and miles with gallons to form a good tool to use. My gauge has never been accurate and it clearly was the sender not the gauge. If I ever have to get into the tank I will replace it all.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Mike when you say "inaccurate" do you mean erratic or consistently inaccurate? If it is a Centroid sender it needs to be trimmed to the proper length upon install (nothing is safe to assume to have occurred right or wrong at the Albin factory) and then there are two calibrations adjustments, E and F. I had the back deck up at one point to reseal it and the sender was cheap enough so I put in a new one and rewired it while the easy access was there. It was dead accurate 100% of the time.

BTW, When I had the deck off I made this dimensional drawing of my aluminum tank (made by Luther's Welding in RI). The cross section with the V is important when figuring "theoretical" tank depth..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Agreed on the calibration... The gauge seems, so far after 3 tanks of fuel to be consistently reading but inaccurate so adjusting the pots will fix it. 1/4 tank means you need to get fuel the previous owner told me.. I'm not going to find out for sure. However the Commodore wanted the NuTeak on the deck so future access is limited to the sender at this time. It wasn't a big deal to me because I see a flow scan someday in my future...
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937

Return to “Albin Maintenance”