• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 35 TE Height

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DKramer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito

Albin 35 TE Height

Post by DKramer »

I need to determine the height if an 1999 Albin 35 TE in order to get a shipping quote. I am considering having the boat brought out west on a flatbed truck.

I am coming up with a lot of conflicting information and I want to get it right for the shipping quote. I don't want to get hit with huge increase "day of" because the height was off. Over certain size you need a following vehicle that adds considerable expense.

Is there a source document of some sort?

There must be but I am having a hard time finding an accurate source.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Albin 35 TE Height

Post by RobS »

Why can't you get the dimensions from the actual vessel of interest? That's the only way to be 100% sure the numbers are right.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DKramer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DKramer »

The boat is out of state and in the water. I don't want to get hit with an extra $7000 because to is 3 inches too high and needs a pilot vehicle(and driver) to follow it across the country behind the flatbed.

I am looking for a source document to provide a definitive value.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Does it have the fly bridge? If do what kind of roof it have? If not does it have a radar arch? Radar mounted? Where is the radar mounted? Rod holders or other items mounted on the roof? Twins or single? The list goes on...robs point was that depending on the specific setup of the boat it's impossible to go to a document to get the height. Most marinas will do a short haul. Might be worth asking if the marina where the boat is will do that and then measure it while it's hanging, would be money well spent. There is a brochure in the document library that might have the info, but again that would be for a bare hull without all the extras that may have been added. Likelyhood of finding a definitive value for THAT boat online is likely zero, sorry
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

DKramer wrote:The boat is out of state and in the water. I don't want to get hit with an extra $7000 because to is 3 inches too high and needs a pilot vehicle(and driver) to follow it across the country behind the flatbed.

I am looking for a source document to provide a definitive value.
There are so many different setups and in my experience every Albin is a "one-off" in some way or another. I'd spend a few $$ and have the actual boat measured by the yard before I would trust any document or other dimensions from another member's boat.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DKramer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DKramer »

Thanks for the input.

The problem is that the boat is on the on other side of the country, in the water and I am not the owner. I am a prospective buyer.

Once I have a definitive height from bottom of keel to top of roof from the manufacturer or a source document I can then make very simple adjustments for radar, rod holders, etc.

The boat will be shipped across several states from SC to SF California. Different states have different regulations and I do not want to get hit with large increases in cost to avoid certain states or pay for a pilot/following vehicle.

My goal is to get a reliable quote on shipping and then see if this is a viable boat to purchase.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Ask the owner or broker for the info. If they want to make the sale they should be willing to figure it out. Bus it single or twins? Does it have a fly bridge? Again we need more info on the boat. Airdraft is listed as 11ft, draft is between 3 and 4 feet depending on motor options. Beyond that, the only way you will know for sure is to have someone put a tape measure on the boat. I wouldn't make a decision based on internet or brochure data. It will be wrong and it will end poorly. If you like the boat, and the seller won't give you the info, have it measured at the survey and if it's bad then back out...cheap insurance
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Short of someone measuring I think that's the best your gonna get. And God knows if it's right cuz it's from their brochures

We really aren't trying to be difficult, it's just the situation. You want an absolute so there aren't any surprises, your just not going to be able to look that up, you just have to bite the bullet and have it measured, yes it will cost, but what's a couple hundred more than your already gonna pay? Plus if the difference is 7k, spending 10% of that to be sure seems like smart money...
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

To everyones point, there are differences in configurations and there is also the question of how
the boat will sit on the shippers trailer. Actual height will be impossible to determine until the
boat is loaded. Hight isn't the only factor. The beam on the 35 is just over 12' which will
be just as much of a factor in determining the need for a chase vehicle. You will certainly need
to budget for removing any mast, flybridge etc to keep the height down regardless. No point
in trying to calculate the height of the installed electronics, etc...they will need to be removed.

When we shipped our 28 from the west coast, we removed the mast and radar which put the
boat just under 14' on the trailer.

Our 35 has twins (less draft than a single), a flybridge with hard top and sits about 22' on blocks. I estimated
with the hard top and framing removed, we would sit at 17' on a trailer at best without removing
the bridge.

Chris
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Adding my 2 cents...

There are many factors to be considered. I read the posts above and can't tell if you're looking at a single or a twin, hardtop or flybridge - all of these are major factors as they drive the height. Your initial post also says "flatbed trailer". That's not likely to happen! You need to have her shipped on a proper transport trailer, by an experienced marine hauler.

Do some searching here on the forum - there are a number of posts about shipping. Here's one thread that might help - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7384&hilit=whwells+shipping

If you haven't already, pop a PM to Howard (whwells) who shipped a 35 Convertible to the west coast a few years ago.

Good luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “General Discussion”