• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bead Faria Gauge Fault?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Bead Faria Gauge Fault?

Post by rnummi »

Is the oil pressure switch supposed to go to zero when the engine / ignition is off? Mine reads 58 psi w no power. Seems to be miscalibrated. Part 2, is there a way to calibrate or do you just send to Faria for repair (or buy a new/ised one).

Same question for water temp gauge. I show 140 w/ power off. It actually never goes to zero power on or off.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
2manyboats
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Florida-Maine and in-between

Re: Bead Faria Guage Fault?

Post by 2manyboats »

My guess would that both gauges may be picking up a power feed somewhere in the harness, try disconnecting the batteries at the terminals. Oil pressure gauge may do that if the line is plugged/crimped and does not relieve the pressure to the gauge when shut down right away. But for both gauges to do that I think stray power or really bad luck is involved.
Wayne
First Light
25 Albin FC
38 Beta
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

The gauges can stay in a position after the ignition is turned off. After completing my electrical panel upgrade I found some interesting information.. The Beede 4 in 1 that I'm using has the following specifications oil gauge is 0-150 psig 240-33 ohm, temp is 100-240 I don't remember the resistance of that. These were not compatible with the Yanmar senders. I found the temp at catalina direct and installed it and it is now reading correctly. I ordered a 1/8 PT to 1/8 NPT adapter and found a pressure transducer that will work and is in route. The Beede one everyone used originally #127437 has been replaced with the #SD0056. I found this number after talking to the Beede / Faria factory.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

catalina_mike wrote:... I ordered a 1/8 PT to 1/8 NPT adapter and found a pressure transducer that will work and is in route. The Beede one everyone used originally #127437 has been replaced with the #SD0056. I found this number after talking to the Beede / Faria factory.
Mike,
Is your oil sender vertical (threads up)? If so, I agree the 1/8” British Pipe Thread to NPT adapter is the way to go. I wouldn't feel comfortable with adding an adapter if the sender is off to the side from fatigue of it's own weight over time. Just me $0.02..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

RobS wrote:
catalina_mike wrote:... I ordered a 1/8 PT to 1/8 NPT adapter and found a pressure transducer that will work and is in route. The Beede one everyone used originally #127437 has been replaced with the #SD0056. I found this number after talking to the Beede / Faria factory.
Mike,
Is your oil sender vertical (threads up)? If so, I agree the 1/8” British Pipe Thread to NPT adapter is the way to go. I wouldn't feel comfortable with adding an adapter if the sender is off to the side from fatigue of it's own weight over time. Just me $0.02..
Yes it's a valid point but the adapter is very close and in a area that will not have strain on it. I could also just buy a NP 1/8" female tap and chase the threads on the new sender if necessary. That's what the temp sender looks like catalina direct did.

Thanks
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

When I built my new dash I changed all the senders to match my new VDO gauges. I used the adapter on the oil sender since it is vertical. Horizontally I would have opt'd to chase the sender port female threads with an 1/8npt tap with a glob of grease on it to catch any material. I think you'd be better off tapping the female threads on the port rather than using a die (female tap as you called it) on the threads on the sender.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Had a brain fart it is Tap & Dye isn't it!
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

catalina_mike wrote:Had a brain fart it is Tap & Dye isn't it!
Tap & Die - Close! :D

Did you go diving this morning? Maybe a little nitrogen narcosis 8)
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Tellico River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Rick, I believe your gauges are electric (sender wired to gauge). Faria is not the original gauge. A lot of time, the ignorant operator just hooks up a new gauge to the original sender and the electrical resistance values are not compatible. Check to see if your sending units are the same brand or compatible with the gauge. There should be a part number on the sending unit and hopefully a brand name. You can get the correct values for the gauges online and check the sending units with an ohmmeter to see if they're right also. Ben
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Re: Bead Faria Gauge Fault?

Post by rnummi »

Thanks Ben, I cleaned all the contacts, that did the trick. Also changed out all the bulbs with led's. Easy peazy. I should add it to the projects less than 100 thread. Each of the 5 bulbs was only a buck.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984

Return to “Albin Maintenance”