• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

After Cooler Zinc

wpcv1776
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Redondo Beach, CA

After Cooler Zinc

Post by wpcv1776 »

Hi, everyone. I have a problem I’m running into with the after cooler zincs. I have a 2004 Tournament Express 31. It has a single 450hp Cummins. When installed, the pencil zinc at the bottom of the after cooler is about one inch from the stringer (picture enclosed). This means that the zinc cannot be changed without at least removing the bottom cap of the aftercooler and reinstalling it. One mechanic say's the cap can't be removed without unbolting the entire aftercooler. All the mechanics I’ve used in the past tell me this is 1.5 - 2 hours just to change one single pencil zinc. Has anyone had the same problem and have you found a long term solution.

Solutions we’ve thought of:

1. We thought about cutting the zincs short and changing them more often, but it turns out we would be cutting away too much of the zinc leaving only about an inch. This seems like a bad idea.

2. We’ve thought about cutting a hole in the stringer and sealing it with epoxy. I have two concerns with this, one of course is making sure the stringer is properly sealed so the wood core doesn’t rot. My other concern is how much strength I’m losing cutting what would probably a 2 inch hole going diagonally through the stringer at about a 45 degree angle.

3. I’m also curious if Cummins might offer any other options for mounting the aftercooler or possibly a different cap on the bottom of the aftercooler. Obviously I will check with boatdiesel.com on this option.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: After Cooler Zinc

Post by RobS »

Option 1 seems okay to me. A blue aftercooler? that must be the boat formerly known as "Gaudeamus"....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DestinSteve
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Destin, FL

Post by DestinSteve »

We have the same issue with our 35TE and the same Cummins 8.3. 1" zincs are available from boatzincs.com and we have found this zinc at 50% of orig size at very close to the same time as the larger/longer zinc in the top cap. Be careful when removing it is easy to leave a chunk in the aftercooler if left in too long and they crumble.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Is there room to put the new zinc in the hole and hold it with a pliers while screwing the cap onto the zinc? Then screw the cap into the aftercooler.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
wpcv1776
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wpcv1776 »

RobS wrote:Option 1 seems okay to me. A blue aftercooler? that must be the boat formerly known as "Gaudeamus"....
Indeed it is. We renamed her " Pole' Pole' " Pronounced (polay polay ). It means "take it slowly" in Swahili.
wpcv1776
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wpcv1776 »

Russell wrote:Is there room to put the new zinc in the hole and hold it with a pliers while screwing the cap onto the zinc? Then screw the cap into the aftercooler.
This is a good idea to try. Don't know why I didn't think of that. If I can find the short zincs that DestinSteve mentioned above and use this method to install, I might have enough wiggle room to make it work. The problem with cutting them short as I mentioned above is that with the cap on this zinc it's self would have to be only 1 inch. It will be six months before I change them again but will let you now if this works.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”